Respected Contributor

Cooking with fresh mushrooms?🍄

I often cook with fresh mushrooms. I usually buy the white button mushrooms either whole or sliced but like all kinds

I've  read that you shouldn't  rinse them because it makes them tough. You should wipe them with a dry cloth. I just cannot bring myself not to rinse them. They sometimes are dirty and wiping them takes to long and doesn't get them as clean.

What do you do? Rinse or Wipe?🤔🍄

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

Re: Cooking with fresh mushrooms?🍄

I find rinsing doesn't  hurt if i cooked them right away ....Have you tried Baby

Bella's .. they are great .....

Respected Contributor

I too feel the need to rinse and not just wipe ....

Trusted Contributor

I also rinse them right before I sauté them.

Honored Contributor

I've always completely washed my fresh mushrooms! They are disgustingly dirty! Wiping just wouldn't do it. I've never had tough mushrooms because I washed them...must be an urban legend. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

Since mushrooms absorb liquid, I do not rinse mine, but wipe with a kitchen towel or washcloth. Something that has a rough fiber which removes all the soil.

I used to rinse mine, but I changed my method. The mushrooms I usually get are pretty clean already.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher   There are a lot of really great flavorful 'shrooms out there. You can buy a mix most times hopefully in your locations.

And I rinse too.

Honored Contributor

I gently rub mine with a mushroom brush that I received as an 'attendance gift'

at a Pampered Chef party years ago.  It is a short, squat little brush with soft bristles.

Honored Contributor

Not washing  mushrooms because they are supposed to absorb too much water, is a fallacy. I wash mine all the time with a very soft mushroom brush. They come out just fine. 

Respected Contributor

@wagirl, l agree!
I've always rinsed too.

As corroboration, years ago I saw an early episode on an Alton Brown show where he 'scientifically' measured the amount of water absorbed by a washed mushroom & it was miniscule.
Muddling through...