Regular Contributor

Re: Cooking Lasagna - Covered or Not? Boiled Noodles or Not?

Covered almost the whole time...maybe last 5 or 10 minutes uncovered to brown up the cheese a bit. I cook my noodles first to al dente. I've always been curious about not cooking them first, but if it turned out poorly it would be such a waste. I'll just stick with what has worked for me.

Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector

That is SO kind of you to share your recipe with us!

I will admit to never having made a sauce like that in my life!  Only 'regular' red sauce.

Never with those ingredients such as veggies, cream and chix stock!

I can't wait to try it!

Thanks again!

I would imagine you use it with other dishes besides lasagna?

Honored Contributor

I have never made it with noodles but I use lasagne pasta  (long-ish, very wide, with  rippled edges type of a pasta) and what I found easiest was to par-boil them.   Just a really quick bit to make them pliable.

I tried cooking them more and that was a disaster.  I tried layering them in dry and it made all these icky super dried out edges that I didn't care for.

I have to check my recipe, as it's been a while since I made lasagne and even more years since I wrote the recipe, but I don't remember covering it.

On the very top I mix the last bit of shredded mozzarella with some shredded parm and it makes a nice top.

Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector

thank you so much for sharing your family recipe! that looks pretty simple to make.

i LOVE bolognese sauce, especially in the fall and winter, because it is such a hearty dish. one of my favorite italian restaurants pairs it with cavatelli pasta. of course, they are NOT going to give me their recipe. Smiley Wink

i have seen some with no cream. not sure if the restaurant i go to uses cream or not, but it looks sinfully delicious! will definitely be trying your family recipe.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Boehm Collector, Thank you so much for your recipe. It looks so delicious. We had a foreign student for a year and she made her sauce very much like this.

Honored Contributor

Just made a pan this week. Boiled the lasagna noodles and baked in a Temp-tations pan with tin foil lightly placed on top. Took off foil during last 15 minutes so it browned.

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@Boehm Collector

That is SO kind of you to share your recipe with us!

I will admit to never having made a sauce like that in my life!  Only 'regular' red sauce.

Never with those ingredients such as veggies, cream and chix stock!

I can't wait to try it!

Thanks again!

I would imagine you use it with other dishes besides lasagna?

Hi @RespectLife   ....  I use the Bolognese Sauce on Penne and on Egg Noodles (Egg Noodles being the traditional pasta used for Bolognese Sauce in Italy).  If you make it let me know how it turns out.  

Honored Contributor

i enjoy bolognese sauce with pappardelle.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/wsimgs/ab/images/dp/recipe/201803/0053/img44l.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@denisemb wrote:

Years ago, I bought a Fasta Pasta from QVC and use it specifically for lasagna noodles, cooked al dente.  Works great, although I didn't have much luck with long, thin pasta.

I also bake mine covered in foil, removing the last 5 minutes or so.

@denisemb

That's a good idea too! Thanks!

I also have the Fasta Pasta....only use it for small pastas, like for soup.

Lasagna noodles is a good idea!  I'll try it sometime!

I also own the Fasta Pasta from QVC.  Off all the infomercial products, this has been the best for me that lived up to it's hype.. Have had it for years and still works great for 1 -2 people.

Honored Contributor

@trenet wrote:

I pour boiling water over regular dry lasagne noodles and let them sit for 20 minutes to partially soften. (A trick I saw on Barefoot Contessa)  

I cover for about 3/4 of the time, then uncover to brown some.  

I think Lidia soaks them too for a bit.