Honored Contributor

Re: Cooking Lasagna - Covered or Not? Boiled Noodles or Not?

@Sweetbay magnolia  I used to be a purest too in using regualr noodles to boil/parcook first, create, then bake. But I tried the no-bake noodles and it worked out great - doesn't take that long to heat through/bake the lasagna.

Honored Contributor

@trenet wrote:

I pour boiling water over regular dry lasagne noodles and let them sit for 20 minutes to partially soften. (A trick I saw on Barefoot Contessa)  

I cover for about 3/4 of the time, then uncover to brown some.  

@trenet

Now THAT'S interesting, thanks for sharing!  I am def. going to try that!  Sounds so much easier to me than a giant pot of boiling water!!

I have been my whole life:

Boil to al dente regular noodles. Bake covered til the end.

Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

Years ago, I bought a Fasta Pasta from QVC and use it specifically for lasagna noodles, cooked al dente.  Works great, although I didn't have much luck with long, thin pasta.

I also bake mine covered in foil, removing the last 5 minutes or so.

@denisemb

That's a good idea too! Thanks!

I also have the Fasta Pasta....only use it for small pastas, like for soup.

Lasagna noodles is a good idea!  I'll try it sometime!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I cook mine covered until the end.  I use dry pasta.  It's usually pretty good (in fact, I have one on the oven now, with ground sausage, spinach, the usual sauces but also Ro-tel).  Fresh herbs, the joy of summer!

@Sweetbay magnolia ....  I use fresh homemade dough (no need to boil it first)  and homemade Bolognese Sauce when I make my Lasagna.  I bake it uncovered.

Esteemed Contributor

@Boehm Collector, that sounds incredible and I'm sure it makes the difference in the dish (the fresh dough and homemade sheets).

Have you been doing that for a long time?  What tips could you share for success?  That may be a skill I would like to learn.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

@Boehm Collector, that sounds incredible and I'm sure it makes the difference in the dish (the fresh dough and homemade sheets).

Have you been doing that for a long time?  What tips could you share for success?  That may be a skill I would like to learn.

Hi @Sweetbay magnolia .....   I was raised by Italian parents.  Everything my Mom cooked was homemade.  So, since that is what I am used to,  I have continued the tradition.   My brother and I make the Bolognese Sauce together.  We make A LOT of it and freeze it.  Making the dough is pretty simple.....  flour, eggs a pinch of salt.  I use a recipe from Williams-Sonoma for Lasagna alla Bolognese. It is a lot of work.... but worth it.  

Honored Contributor

I don't boil them anymore, straight out of the box, any brand that is on sale that week.

Once it goes into the oven I don't cover it.

Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector

do you have a recipe for the bolognese sauce or is it a family secret?

would love to have a great tried and true recipe.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I cook my lasagna noodles al dente as well and bake it uncovered.  I like for it to be browned really well on top  and the top side pieces of the lasagne get a little crunchy.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Boehm Collector

do you have a recipe for the bolognese sauce or is it a family secret?

would love to have a great tried and true recipe.

Hi @sunshine45 .. there are many variations for recipes for Bolognese Sauce.  This is the one we use.   But  I make much more than shown below .... I judge the quanitites by sigght.   LOL

Onion, Carrot, Celery, 1/4 pound pancetta, one pound ground beef, one pound ground pork, four tablespoons butter; olive oil, four cans Pomi (strained tomatos or tomato Puree) , one cup white wine, salt and pepper, nutmeg, 3/4 cup chicken stock and 3/4 cup heavy cream.  

Finely chop carrot, onion and celery. Add oil and butter to pot and heat. Add chopped veggies. Add all ground meat and diced pancetta and break it up. Cook for 10 minutes. Mix frequently. Add wine and cook for five minutes. Add all of Pomi and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir frequently. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Add stock and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir frequently. Add heavy cream. Continue to simmer for another 25 minutes. Stir frequently.