Esteemed Contributor

Cooking Lasagna - Covered or Not? Boiled Noodles or Not?

I cook mine covered until the end.  I use dry pasta.  It's usually pretty good (in fact, I have one on the oven now, with ground sausage, spinach, the usual sauces but also Ro-tel).  Fresh herbs, the joy of summer!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Re: Cooking Lasagna - Covered or Not? Boiled Noodles or Not?

i always leave it covered until close to the end. i like it browned on top, but not overly browned.

i have never used dry noodles. i always boil mine to al dente and then use them. i will have to try them straight out of the box. i have also seen some put them in hot water prior to assembling rather than dry or boiled.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Covered for most of the cooking time and uncover before it is finished. Dry noodles. As long as there is enough sauce they come out fine. I hate when I used to boil them, what a pain.

Esteemed Contributor

Covered until last 5 min and I am another one that boils the noodles al dente...

Respected Contributor

Cover and then uncover until the cheese slightly browns.

I have been using the no boil pasta but I haven't been happy with Barilla lately, something definite changed.  I think next time I'll buy the pasta that needs to be cooked first.

Honored Contributor

I tried the boil free noodles once and didn't care for them.  I boil the noodles and cook uncovered.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I tried the boil free noodles once and didn't care for them.  I boil the noodles and cook uncovered.

@GCR18.  I don’t like the boil free noodles either. I just use the regular noodles but don’t boil them. They soften in the sauce as the lasagna cooks.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Well, this time I prepared the dish in advance with plenty of liquid and it was a little "soft", after some hours in the fridge before cooking.

I think it will be fantastic leftover, though.  The taste was very good.

Perfect eludes me!

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

I pour boiling water over regular dry lasagne noodles and let them sit for 20 minutes to partially soften. (A trick I saw on Barefoot Contessa)  

I cover for about 3/4 of the time, then uncover to brown some.  

Respected Contributor

Years ago, I bought a Fasta Pasta from QVC and use it specifically for lasagna noodles, cooked al dente.  Works great, although I didn't have much luck with long, thin pasta.

I also bake mine covered in foil, removing the last 5 minutes or so.

Denise