Honored Contributor

Did we ever have a cookie contribution on here before, where everyone would put in their favorite or at least very successful cookie recipe?   I would love to see from around the country what are favorites? What if, no chocolate chip recipes?  I love those.

If you think it would be fun, or a good idea, let's see.

Valued Contributor

Re: Cookies..................

My favorite are Gingersnaps

2 1/2 cups flour

2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salr

12 TBSP unsalted butter

2 TBSP. (TBSP is right) powdered ginger

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. cloves

1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar

1/4 cup molasses

2 TBSP finely grated fresh ginger

1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk

1/2 cup granulated sugar to roll in

Whisk first 3 ingredients in small bowl.  

Melt butter in 10 inch skillet over med. heat.  Reduce heat to low till starts to brown 2-4 minutes.  Pour immediately into large bowl so it stops browning.  Add ginger, cinnamon and cloves.  Let cool 2 minutes.  Whisk in brown sugar, molasses and fresh ginger.  Whisk in egg and yolk.  Stir in flour till just combined.  Cover with plastic and refrigerate for at least one hour.

Adjust racks to upper middle and lower middle in oven and heat oven to 300.  Line baking sheets with parchment.  Put granulated sugar on plate.  Put dough in heaping teaspoons and roll into balls, then roll balls in granulated sugar.  (This makes them very crispy)

Place 20 on each cookie sheet.  Place 1 sheet on upper rack and bake 15 minutes.  Rotate sheet and move down for additional 10-12 minutes.  Put second sheet on top at same time.  Then move second rack down for 15-17 minutes.  Should make 80 cookies.

Honored Contributor

Here is a recipe for cookies that look like little snowballs.

Date Pecan Balls

1 cup soft unsalted butter

1/2 c sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 c sifted flour

1 c chopped pecans

1 c chopped dates

I buy the chopped dates in the box and chop into smaller pieces (they look like they are dusted w/sugar)

Cream butter & sugar.  Add vanilla and mix; add flour 1/2 c at a time & mix; add pecans & dates.  Roll teaspoons of doughinto balls and Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.  Bake on greased cookie sheet @ 350 for 20 minutes.  Roll in Confectioner's Sugar or sprinkle heavy.

These cookies are buttery delicious.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies. 🍒🍒

Combine 1 1/2. cups flour,  1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa,  1/4 t salt. 1/4 t baking powder and 1/4 t baking soda.  Set aside. 

Drain 1 10oz. jar maraschino cherries ,  reserve juice and set aside. 

In  mixer bowl beat 1/2 cup butter or marg. , add a cup of sugar and beat till fluffy.  Add 1 egg and 1 1/2 t vanilla and beat well.  Gradually add dry ingredients till combined.

Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place 2inches apart on an untreated cookie sheet. Press down the center of each ball with thumb, and place a drained cherry in the center.  

In a small saucepan combine 1 6 oz. pkg of semisweet chocolate chips,  1/2  cup of sweetened condensed milk. Cook and stir on low heat till chocolate is melted.  Stir in  4 t  of reserved cherry juice.  Spoon 1 t over each cherry and spread to cover cherry. Add more juice if mixture needs thinning. 

Bake at 350 for about 10 min. Or till edges are firm.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies -- YUM!!!

1/4 c shortening (I use half butter, half shortening)

1 c brown sugar (packed)

1/2 c sugar

1 egg

1/4 c water

1 t vanilla

1 c AP flour

1 t salt

1 t cinnamon

1/2 t soda

1/2 t cloves

1 c chopped walnuts

1 c mini chocolate chips

3 c quick cooking oats

Heat oven to 350°

Mix shortening, brown sugar, sugar, egg & vanilla.

Stir in remaining ingredients.

Drop by rounded spoonful on baking sheet.

Bake 12-15 mins or til almost no imprint remains when touched.

Immediately remove from baking sheet. Cool.

Makes about 5 dozen

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

SNICKERDOODLES

2 1/2 cups flour

2 tsp cream of tartar

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

8 tbsp softened butter

1/2 cup shortening

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 eggs

Topping;

1 tbsp cinnamon

1/4 cup sugar (in holiday colors if you like)

Whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt in bowl.  Beat together butter, sugar, and shortening in big bowl with electric mixer until fluffy.  Stir in eggs.  Slowly mix in flour mixture with electric mixer until just combined.

Mix cinnamon and sugar topping in pie dish.  Roll dough into 1 1/2" balls and roll in topping.  Place 2" apart on parchment-lined baking sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees until edges are light brown and centers are puffy, 9-11 minutes.  Place on wire rack to cool.   

Super Contributor

Katcat1

The pecan balls look so good. Do you think they could be frozen before baking? Or frozen after baking but before rolling in sugar?

If not, if they were made a day before serving would they keep well in a covered container?

I'd love to add these to my Christmas open house table but for various reasons wouldn't be able to make them on that day.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bluetail fly ...I make a Mexican Wedding Cake Cookie...similar recipe as the pecan ball...yes you can freeze....I am the queen of freezing food.

Edited to add, did not mean to speak in place of the poster that posted the recipe. I should have said I assume the cookie can be frozen because the ingredients are similar...sorry!

Super Contributor

momtodogs thank you for your input. Would you freeze before or after baking?
Honored Contributor

@bluetail fly ...I freeze after I bake....I cool them and wrap well.

If you have not made anything that gets rolled in powdered sugar...I roll once they come out of the oven, allow to cool and roll again......it is a bit of a messy job, I do it over the sink.