Super Contributor

Re: Cookies..................

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@bluetail fly ...I freeze after I bake....I cool them and wrap well.

If you have not made anything that gets rolled in powdered sugar...I roll once they come out of the oven, allow to cool and roll again......it is a bit of a messy job, I do it over the sink.

Thank you so much.  Thanks to you and the person who originally posted the recipe I now have a game plan.

Respected Contributor

I'm bumping this up hoping that someone will add some yummy recipes!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm irresistibly drawn to KatCat1's recipe for date pecan balls. Definitely adding this one to my baking schedule.

And snickerdoodles. . .I haven't made those in an eternity.

A tasty thread!

Valued Contributor

Sugar Cookies

1 cup powdered sugar

1 cup granulated sugar

2 eggs

1 cup butter or margarine, softened

1 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon vanilla

4-1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon cream of tartar

1 teaspoon of salt

Mix sugars with eggs, butter and oil.  Add vanilla then add flour, soda, cream of tartar and salt and mix well.  Refrigerate dough until firm.  Form by tablespoons into balls.  Place balls on greased baking sheets and flatten by pressing with a glass that has been buttered and dipped in granulated sugar or decorative sugar.  Bake at 350 8 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned.  Remove to racks to cool.  Makes 4-1/2 dozen.

This is a very old recipe I got out of the LA Times years ago.  They are a soft sugar cookie and very good!

Respected Contributor

Double Chocolate Cherry Drops

The Great Christmas Swap cookbook, Good Housekeeping

Hearst Communications Inc., 2009, page 54

Makes about 120 cookies

3 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 and 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa

1/2 Tsp salt

2 cups softened butter or margarine (I use unsalted butter)

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup light corn syrup

4 Tsps vanilla extract (I use 3 Tsps vanilla & 1 Tsp almond extract)

2 eggs

16 oz semisweet or white chocolate, cut into 1/2 inch chunks

2 cups dried, tart cherries

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a medium bowl whisk flour, cocoa and salt until blended.

2.  In large bowl, with mixer at medium bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy, scraping bowl down with a rubber spatula.  beat in corn syrup, extract(s) and eggs until well mixed.  Reduce speed to low.  Gradually add flour mixture; beat just until blended, occasionally scraping the bowl. With a wooden spoon stir in chocolate chunks and cherries.

3.  Drop cookies by rounded measuring teaspoons, 2 inchs apart, on two ungreased large cookie sheets.

4.  Bake just until tops are firm, 10 to 11 minutes.  Transfer to wire racks to cool.  Repeat with remaining dough.

Each cookie:  About 85 calories, 1 gram protein, 11 g carbohydrate,  5 g total fat (3 g saturated), 12 mg cholesterol, 50 mg sodium

Super Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Here is a recipe for cookies that look like little snowballs.

Date Pecan Balls

1 cup soft unsalted butter

1/2 c sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 c sifted flour

1 c chopped pecans

1 c chopped dates

I buy the chopped dates in the box and chop into smaller pieces (they look like they are dusted w/sugar)

Cream butter & sugar.  Add vanilla and mix; add flour 1/2 c at a time & mix; add pecans & dates.  Roll teaspoons of doughinto balls and Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.  Bake on greased cookie sheet @ 350 for 20 minutes.  Roll in Confectioner's Sugar or sprinkle heavy.

These cookies are buttery delicious.

KatCat1 I finally got around to making these.  They are incredibly delicious.  They are in my freezer now and I'll be proud to serve them on my Christmas dessert table.

Thank you so much for posting the recipe.

Respected Contributor

CHEWY MACAROONS

(These flatten slightly and are chewy goodness in every bite) To make them pretty, put a half a maraschino cherry in the center of each cookie before baking.

Ingredients

3 cups sweetened flaked coconut

1/2 cup flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 (300 ml) cans sweetened condensed milk

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla or almond extract (I prefer almond)

download.jpg

Directions

Preheat oven to 325.

Combine coconut, flour and salt.

Stir in vanilla or almond extract and milk.

Drop from a tablespoon onto a greased cookie sheet.** Recipe calls for greased cookie sheet but I Use parchment paper on the cookie sheet and you will not have any cookies sticking)

Bake for 13 minutes or until golden brown.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

my wife is italian and her parents are from italy. my mil allways made alot of cookies bit now my wife does alot of them but my mil still does some. im giving you a;; the italian s cookies recipe. its not even my mil recipe. my wife started making this one.

italian s cookies

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup sugar

4 large egg yolks

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon lemon extract

2 teaspoons lemon zest

for glaze

powdered sugar

couple table spoons milk

beat butter and sugar until light.then add rest of ingredients until ball forms.if dough is dry add a few drops of water.wrap in plastic wrap and let dough rest for an hour. roll dough out into long ropes and form into s.bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until gold underneth. frost with glaze and put sprinkles. bake at 350 degrees.

Super Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Here is a recipe for cookies that look like little snowballs.

Date Pecan Balls

1 cup soft unsalted butter

1/2 c sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 c sifted flour

1 c chopped pecans

1 c chopped dates

I buy the chopped dates in the box and chop into smaller pieces (they look like they are dusted w/sugar)

Cream butter & sugar.  Add vanilla and mix; add flour 1/2 c at a time & mix; add pecans & dates.  Roll teaspoons of doughinto balls and Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.  Bake on greased cookie sheet @ 350 for 20 minutes.  Roll in Confectioner's Sugar or sprinkle heavy.

These cookies are buttery delicious.

The reviews are in on this recipe and they are a smashing hit!

I made them a couple of weeks ago and froze them.  Set them out on the counter yesterday morning still in the freezer container to defrost and moved them to a serving platter a little before my open house started.

I gots lots of compliments.  Lots of What's in These questions.    Lots of I've never had these before and They Taste Like Christmas comments.

This recipe is a keeper ..  Thanks so much to KatCat1.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Honored Contributor

@coconut1818  I tried your sugar cookie recipe They were delicious.  thanks for posting.

My grandma made a very soft, sugar cookie with a raisin in the center.  I would love to find something similar...  I would have to leave the raisin off or my husband would not eat them.  I think it was a drop cookie, I never had the recipe.

Again thanks for sharing.