Honored Contributor

Re: Cookies/dessert recipes to bake for Diabetics?

BExplorer wrote:

I just wanted to throw out that I have made desserts with 1/2 of the sugar called for and didn't miss it at all.  Strawberry Heaven comes to mind, I couldn't tell a difference at all.  I think you can get by with much less sugar (and salt) than recipes call for. 

Good idea!  I tend to find that recipes containing sugar will have at least 30 to 40% too much so I always cut it back.   

You still end up with a sweet finished product but maybe it goes from absolutely cloying to just as sweet as it actually should be.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

....I just want to say that as a Diabetic, I have done some serious research on this topic. 

To put it in short, every sweetener tried needs to be tested.

Look up any artificial sweetener on Amazon, and read the reviews.

Some artificial sweeteners work for a mixed group of type 1 and 2.....and some don't.

I am always trying everything out on the market, but I have the ability to do that.

I have done well with some highly acclaimed artificial sweeteners, and with others, not so much-but others raved about them.

.....if you are entertaining, it never hurts to ask a Diabetic what they use for sweetening-but you also have to keep in mind, how far are YOU willing to go...it's up to us-diabetics- and parents of newly diagnosed of age(who might be in denial) or underage-to know what their guest can have.

You should not be put out of your comfort zone or adding more stress to yourself as a host/ hostess. That is why I suggested to give your in-laws a call.....

Poodlepet2

Trusted Contributor

@Rockycoast I make pumpkin pie every year with Xylitol instead of sugar. You can substitute it 1-to-1 for sugar. No one can tell that the pie and homemade whipped cream are sugar-free. It may have a scary-sounding name but is natural. Splenda is sucralose. You can look up the health dangers of that. 

I hope that your Thanksgiving dessert turned out well!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@pinkmochi, capitol has its uses such as toothpaste and breath mints.  It is known to have gastric side effects-and that can vary from person to person...it is not entirely safe for diabetics when combined with erythritol..

Diabetic Educators urge us Diabetics to use those with caution. 

For many of us, this combination can actually Raise blood glucose levels....

Once again, ask your Diabetic guest about what they can have- and when.....

We watch our carbs whether or not we are on insulin.

....it's also a factor of timing.

We have set limits as to how many carbs we can have at a meal and if we are having dessert, it typically follows about two hours after dinner.....

Smart Diabetics police themselves: juveniles face a different set of problems.....we can't confuse them.

This is a matters of safe: just because somebody buys a "sugar-free " cake mix-it is not a "free-ride" for that particular diabetic and the artificial sweetener used does not always agree with all of us.

Once again, if you are a host or hostess, it's not up to you  to police us...

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I don't care how delicous  an artifically sweetened pie is. I wouldn't touch it. I think people using this stuff, has an obligation to warn  other people, about what they put in the pie ,for sweetner

That sweetner does terrible things to  my digestion system, and to other peoples as well. 

Occasional Contributor

Unbelievable Desserts with Splenda by Marlene Koch.

This book iis filled  with alot of different deserts.  You can get it from Amazon.  It's not expensive.  Also  in my grocery store they do have No Sugar cake mixes.  They are rin the same isle as the regular cake mixes. Hope this hwlps.