Respected Contributor

Cookies/dessert recipes to bake for Diabetics?

Morning all,  our family recently found out my young neice is diabetic.  I want her to have some desserts at Thanksgiving and Christmas time. I checked the Diabetes sites and most reccomend Stevia sugar substitute. Having baked with it before, it is not very good. You can definitely tell the differance.  Any recipes using approved substitutes? Maybe less sugar or honey, etc. Thanks for any help.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cookies/dessert recipes to bake for Diabetics?

I'd look on Cooks dot com. or All Recipies dot com.

Both have reviews and can't be beaten

Honored Contributor

I get emails from Lori Zanini, RN ,CDE and she has a few great sounding dessert as a download, for diabetics. will try to find it and attach it here.

Honored Contributor

I don’t use anything but Truvia, because I have found that some of the other Stevia based sweeteners are either bitter to my tongue or totally tasteless.

Unfortunately for your “sweet” efforts on behalf of your niece, I think this may be a somewhat individual issue.

I have done pumpkin pie using Truvia and I thought the result was as good as the same recipe using white sugar.

I add a little pure vanilla to anything I use Truvia in.

A coarse old fashioned oatmeal cookie may work well with Truvia too, especially if raisins or dates are part of the recipe.

Hopefully your niece will have received enough training in managing her condition to balance her meal in the best way for her specific needs.

Respected Contributor

In this case, I would ask her parents to bring something or call them and ask what might be appropriate for her. All diabetics are not equal....insulin dependent and insulin resistant are two different things plus a variety existing in between.

If she I a child-and juvenile diabetes can be so difficult to manage-they may not even want her to have dessert.

There are no free rides here-type 1 or type 2-really difficult with children.

Call them and ask-I think they would appreciate you so much for doing that....but don't knock yourself out either over this.

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

This dessert has been called by many names!

Prep Time  45 mins  Cook Time  20 mins  Total Time  1 hrs 5 mins

S*x in a Pan – crazy name for a dessert, but it’s one of the best desserts you’ll ever have, it's mostly a pudding dessert with a crunchy pecan bottom crust.

Ingredients:

Crust

• 1 cup pecans chopped
  • 3 tbsp granulated sugar (can be omitted)
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour

Cream cheese layer

Vanilla pudding

Chocolate Pudding

• 1 oz instant chocolate pudding Sugar free
  • 2 cups milk

Toppings

• 2 cups cool whip with sweetener
  • shaved chocolate (optional)

I have made this and it is wonderful.  Be sure to cook the pudding exactly as directed.  To overcook kills the sweetener.

P.S.  Bet everybody eats it!

Honored Contributor

I get an Angel food cake for DH, top it with Cool Whip and sliced strawberries. Easy and he loves it.

Respected Contributor

I use granulated Splenda as a sugar substitute.  They even make a brown sugar sub.

Trusted Contributor

@Rockycoast wrote:

Morning all,  our family recently found out my young neice is diabetic.  I want her to have some desserts at Thanksgiving and Christmas time. I checked the Diabetes sites and most reccomend Stevia sugar substitute. Having baked with it before, it is not very good. You can definitely tell the differance.  Any recipes using approved substitutes? Maybe less sugar or honey, etc. Thanks for any help.

Hi @Rockycoast,

I prefer the taste of Splenda if I'm having something sugar-free. Some of the other sugar substitutes don't agree with me, either.

You can find recipes out there for cooking and baking that use it.

I don't know what links are acceptable here and I don't want to post anything that could affect your thread. 

I wish your niece all of the best as she finds her way around being a diabetic. Heart

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for the suggestions and recipes. They are very much appreciated. I'll be seeing my brother and s-i-l and talk with them about my neice and diet. Just didn't want her to feel left out when it came to desserts.  Have a great Thanksgiving everyone, and again, thank you.