Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cookbook recommendations for newlyweds?

@cimeranrose 

Since they don't really cook, stay away from Julia Child and all "Chefy" cookbooks.  They will simply remain on the bookshelf.

From a practical standpoint, I'd recommend any of the following:

Better Homes Cookbook (it's red and white and has all the American basics, plus it's in a 3-ring hard cover binder)

Betty Crocker Cookbook (has American basics, plus it's in a 3-ring as well.)

New York Times Cookbook (a fun book with do-able recipes from the US and around the world.  Discovered one of our favorites here: Country Captain)

If you could afford it, I'd gift them with The New York Times Cookbook and the Better Homes Cookbook.  Better Homes will keep it simple for them, in most cases and that's what they need.  What we all need to remember in cases like this is that people can have all the recipes in the world, but if they haven't developed techniques needed in the kitchen, failure after failure will follow.  If this couple is bereft of kitchen skills, perhaps you might look to purchase one book which combines techniques and recipes

Frequent Contributor

I have given cookbooks as bridal shower gifts.  They were a big hit!  A few of the books I have bought were very easy to follow and fun.  A few titles: The Great Meatballs Book by Jennifer Boudinot and The New Chicken Breast Cookbook by Diane Rozas.  One of my absolute favorites is: Eat This, It Will Make You Feel Better by Dom DeLuise. 

Esteemed Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

"Mastering the Art of French Cooking"

"Joy of Cooking"

@mom2four0418 

Per the OP, the books are for a couple who are not cooking savvy at all.  Honestly and with all due respect, I cannot imagine them digging into a Julia Child "Beouf" recipe any more than a "Joy" recipe for a Chicken Pot Pie.

One must have so many techniques on board to tackle these recipes.  My husband is a prime example.  He "thinks" he can do them.  I have to leave the house because of all the cursing and throwing of implements.  Awful, simply awful!  He burnt dinner tonight to a crisp, after listening to a sinister butcher tell him how to broil marinated chicken thighs for 40 minutes.  Broiled for 40 minutes!  Nonsensical! 

When we got married, I had already immersed myself in both Julia's and Graham Kerr's programs in TV for at least several years and was raring to go.  My mother-in-law gifted me with a first edition of Julia's book, as well as a first edition of the Time's book.  Still loved and used today, but inappropriate for a beginner couple, in my opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

Many people today do not cook? I would gift them an at home food service for a week. They could order the food and prepare it. Some companies will give customers a discount to try a plan.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lynne6was7 wrote:

I have been enjoying Jamie Oliver's show on the PBS Create Channel.  If they're new to cooking, they would probably enjoy his cookbook:  5 Ingredients Quick & Easy Food.  Great main dishes and salads, pasta, and desserts - and contemporary, like you'd find in restaurants today.  Easy to make and clean up, often in one pan, and prepped in 10-15 minutes.  All look delicious too.  His cookbook can be purchased on the Create Channel's website.  Will likely be ordering it for myself.

@cimeranrose  I agree with @lynne6was7  I enjoy Jamie's show and it would be a terrific cookbook for those that are starting out and may be intimated by a longer list of ingredients or instructions.

Another one I would highly recommend is Fix Ingredient Fix by Claire Robinson.  She had a companion show on the Food Network and I just loved it (I also had the cookbook but unfortunately it did not survive the move a couple of years ago).  Bummer.

The final one I would recommend is Dam# Delicious Meal Prep, 115 Easy Recipes for Low Calorie, High Energy Living.  I subscribe to her newsletter and I have never tried a recipe from her that didn't come out delicious and easy.  Not complicated and easy to find ingredients and great flavors.

eta:  Here is an example of the recipes you may find in the above mentioned cookbook:

https://damndelicious.net/2019/08/06/easy-chicken-tacos/

Super simple and with spices that are easily found in any grocery store.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

"Joy of Cooking".... it is like a basic learning tool!

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@lynne6was7 wrote:

I have been enjoying Jamie Oliver's show on the PBS Create Channel.  If they're new to cooking, they would probably enjoy his cookbook:  5 Ingredients Quick & Easy Food.  Great main dishes and salads, pasta, and desserts - and contemporary, like you'd find in restaurants today.  Easy to make and clean up, often in one pan, and prepped in 10-15 minutes.  All look delicious too.  His cookbook can be purchased on the Create Channel's website.  Will likely be ordering it for myself.

@cimeranrose  I agree with @lynne6was7  I enjoy Jamie's show and it would be a terrific cookbook for those that are starting out and may be intimated by a longer list of ingredients or instructions.

Another one I would highly recommend is Fix Ingredient Fix by Claire Robinson.  She had a companion show on the Food Network and I just loved it (I also had the cookbook but unfortunately it did not survive the move a couple of years ago).  Bummer.

The final one I would recommend is Dam# Delicious Meal Prep, 115 Easy Recipes for Low Calorie, High Energy Living.  I subscribe to her newsletter and I have never tried a recipe from her that didn't come out delicious and easy.  Not complicated and easy to find ingredients and great flavors.

eta:  Here is an example of the recipes you may find in the above mentioned cookbook:

https://damndelicious.net/2019/08/06/easy-chicken-tacos/

Super simple and with spices that are easily found in any grocery store.  Smiley Happy

----------------

Just as an interesting point... my DD and I were watching one of Jamie's shows on Create.  She stated that she would like the cookbook for Christmas.  I found it on Amazon. 

But some of the reviews kind of turned me off.  One complaint was that his ingredients are not always found in the US.  Another was that his measurements were not the standard US measurements.  Will mention to my DD before I purchase...she may change her mind!

Honored Contributor

My aunt who taught Home Economics gave me The Joy of Cooking cook book and a recipe box filled with favorite family recipes. I didn't use the book for about 5 years, but when we moved from the city to the farm I really appreciated the gift.