Respected Contributor

Re: Cook's Country Creamy Grits

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter@proudlyfromNJ is right. You can sometimes find an ATK or CC recipe by googling.

About 4 or 5 years ago, I stumbled across a guy's blog which he'd titled 'My Year Cooking w/ Chris Kimball'.

There are LOTS of ATK/CC recipes on it.

It was actually a great concept!

He shared their recipe, the way he'd made it, then his thoughts, & even how much of a mess there was to clean up afterwards! Smiley LOL

The site seems inactive these days, but I still refer back to it every once in awhile.

**On the Home Page, a bit down on the right & just below the picture of a Cooks Illustrated cookbook is a search bar to look for recipes. 

@Zhills, I checked, & there isn't that grits recipe. Bummer!

My Year Cooking with Chris Kimball | Recipes from Cook's Illustated ...

Muddling through...
Frequent Contributor

I saw that episode also, and their favorite grits were Pencil cob grits from Anson Mills, but you have to order a minimum of four 10 oz bags or a 10 lb box. I believe that amt would last me forever!

So, what brand of grits do you all enjoy? TIA

Esteemed Contributor

We only have the choice of Quaker (all types) or Jim Dandy or Dixie Lily.  I usually get the Quacker 5 min.

We bought some at the mill in W Va and they were absolutely wonderful!

I see that Publix now carries ready cooked grits by Gracious Grits.  They carry their own Shrimp & Grits, heat and eat meal.

Frequent Contributor

I have been researching grits ever since I watched that TV episode, lol! They looked so good!

I have the 5 min Quaker ones, but I have read that the fresh milled ones like you had in SC are so much better, so I think I will try the Palmetto Farms brand offered on A. Now, yellow, white, or mixed!!

Thx Zhills!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@NVmimi  I don't think the color affects the taste.  It is more the way they are cooked.  

If you order the ones on A, be sure you don't get the ones that have to cook an hour unless that is what you want.  I cooked them once, that was enough!  Not that much difference and not worth the extra effort. 

I have been making grits in my rice cooker lately.  I do not like the ones put in cold water and cooked 20 mins as well as the ones stirred into boiling water and cooked 5-7 minutes on low.  Never boiled!  Just my personal preference.  

I started using the rice cooker after my surgery because it didn't need to be watched and was easy!

Keep posting and let me know how you fix them and how you like them.    They are the ultimate comfort food; plain or cheesy, sausage stirred in, topped with an egg with runny yolk!

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

When you add the cream cheese, put about a rounded teaspoonful along with your favorite cheese, grated.  Smoked Gouda is to die for....just a little though.  I just use plain cheddar and the cream cheese.

Smoked Gouda in grits is wonderful!!!  This was a side dish for my favorite restauant when I go to the beach but they're out of business now.  I always got it every time I went there.  

I think I've only had plain grits once or twice but just don't care for them without cheese (preferably smoked Gouda).

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Made the Creamy Grits.  Not special to me.  If those were creamy, they never tasted Paula Deen's grits!

The grits do not cook in the butter long enough to toast or get the "browned butter" taste.  

Here is the only way I can think of to describe them.  The grits stayed firmer because they couldn't absorb the liquid with butter on them.

It was like the difference of "pork & beans" and black beans.  The pork & beans are all soft while the black beans are not hard, but definitely firmer.  I do not usually cook them in milk but did use 1/2 2% and ?? 

not necessarily an improvement to me.

Had the leftovers with eggs and sausage this morning and you could definitely tast the milk flavor.  Not worth the extra effort to me as far as taste.

Esteemed Contributor

I love grits-good, bad or indifferent!  

@RespectLife

I once heard grits as described as cream of wheat with attitude!   Funny because cream of wheat is made with wheat!   A guilty pleasure of mine is getting grits at a Waffle House.  I'm sure there are none of that chain near you but as you travel, be on the lookout for one.  Grits there are plain-no cheese or garlic.  I like to add lots of butter but just love them.  They are a comfort food to me and if you can get them with cheese and/or garlic somewhere, you hit the jack pot!  And if you decide to make them yourself-DON'T buy the instant variety!   YIKES!  That is like instant oatmeal or instant potatoes-doesn't taste like the real thing.  Google one of your favorite Southern chefs-I'm sure you will find a recipe that you can follow.  Nothing tricky about making them-just have patience and whisk, whisk, whisk so you don't have lumps but I even eat them with lumps!  Don't skimp on the milk or cream or the butter.    Not a time to worry about calories.   It's probably not like you are going to eat them everyday.  Go full fledged fat for your first experience so you know what they should taste like and cut back from there.  

Trusted Contributor

There really is a big taste difference in grits, although you wouldn't think there would be. (But then there's a big taste difference in fresh corn also.)  I've tried various store brands and various "stone ground" versions.  The best I've ever had -- so far -- were from Nora Mill Granary in Helen, Georgia.  I've just finished the bag I bought there, and it would pretty much be worth driving all the way back to Helen for another bag, although I'm sure the mill has an online presence.

BTW, there is a recipe for grits in Mary Kay Andrews' new "Beach House Cookbook" which calls for grits, chicken stock, half-and-half, and cream cheese -- now THAT should be some Creamy Grits!

And as mustang66lady pointed out, don't even bother with instant or quick-cooking grits.  Sorry, but to paraphrase:  "What you cook is what you get."

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

They do have a website.  Gonna have to try them.  The mill we went to was in W Va.  

P.S.  Website is dangerous!  So much good stuff!

Thanks for this information!  Been to Helen but didn't remember the Granary.....remember the wine!