Trusted Contributor

Re: Cook's Country Creamy Grits

@Zhills

If you do go back to Helen, park across the road from the Mill -- there's barely room for the Mill between the road and the water.  And don't buy too much at one time -- you have to be able to scurry across the road, dodging cars, with your purchases.  Tourist traffic is fierce on that road, especially on weekends.  By the way, they do have some samples kept hot in crockpots.  Oh, MY!

Esteemed Contributor

I found them online.  Gonna order a bag of yellow & white.  Gotta try them.

Super Contributor

CelticCrafter,

Recipes are usually offered free for the year's current shows. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Razzy 7 wrote:

CelticCrafter,

Recipes are usually offered free for the year's current shows. 

Where are they?  I have never found them.  Good to know.

Trusted Contributor

@Zhills  Try going to cookscountry.com and enter "Current Season" in the search box.  The page that comes up has a pull-down on the left for "Recipes." 

The site looks different now that it did when I used to browse current season recipes, but -- yes -- both of the Cook's Illustrated TV Series normally offer all the current season's recipes online without joining.

Trusted Contributor

I purchased the Gracious Grits from Publix and love them.  They have cheese and plain.  I also purchased steamed shrimp with heavy Old Bay and made Shrimp and Grits.  Loved it.

Boop

Respected Contributor

The difference in stone ground grits vs. regular:

The grain is slowly ground in a traditional stone mill so that it retains all of the natural oils found in the germ (heart of the corn). When Palmetto Farms stone ground grits are cooked they are smooth, creamy, delicious, and full of that rich natural flavor.

I use half and half instead of water and a blend in a round of gouda cheese when they are finished cooking. Southern girl all my life!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Zhills, I am dyin'! I love grits-grew up on them! In New Orleenz, there's nothing like grits and grilles-or grits with shrimp....one of my favorites that I haven't had forever is grits with liver and onions!

This weekend, I am going to try this particular recipe.

For all the naysayers, toasting just about any grain prior to adding liquid brings out the flavor.

The next time I make polenta-which is made with cornmeal as opposed to using grits, I'm going to try "toasting" it before: I bet it will be delicious!

Hugs @Zhills,

Poodlepet2

Frequent Contributor

@Hoovermom, I recently ordered the Palmetto Farms stone ground grits from Amazon, and looking forward to using the tip about half and half!  I will definitely make them that way! Thx!!

Respected Contributor

Don't need a big pot of grits, so I reduced the recipe.

Half of rec.                               Quarter of rec.

1 1-/2 T butter                        1t and 3/4 t butter

1/2 c grits                                1/4 c grits

1 1/8 c milk                             1/2 c and 1 T milk

1 c water                                  1/2 c water

1/2 t salt                                  1/4 t salt