Trusted Contributor

My chicken salad changes according to my mood!

If I want a more basic chicken salad to put on bread for sandwiches, I mix about 6 cups of chicken chunks, (mostly white meat with a little dark thrown in), chopped celery, chopped green onion, about 1/2 TBSP of red wine vinegar, and Hellman's mayo until I feel it's moist enough.  Then I add a little honey to taste...you just want a "hint" of sweetness.  Last, salt/pepper to taste.

If I want a chicken salad to serve on greens as a main dish salad, I make it the same as above, except I add some dried cranberries (craisins), some chopped walnuts and some halved red grapes.  Salt/pepper to taste.

Tuna salad is always the same for me:  albacore tuna, Hellman's mayo, finely minced celery, finely minced green onions, a little fresh minced dill and salt/pepper to taste.  I also find that when I make tuna salad at least 3 hours in advance and give the flavors a chance to meld, it's always better!

Honored Contributor

Our grocery store deli makes really good chicken salad from the rotessiere chickens.  One with and without grapes.  I like to add more celery.

Regular Contributor

This is the best chicken salad I've ever eaten!  I've been making it ever since I found the recipe on margaretsmorsels.blogspot.com

Chicken Salad
8 Servings

4 chicken breast halves
1 onion, quartered
1 stalk celery, halved
1 (8 oz.) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish, drained
1 (2 oz.) jar diced pimentos, drained
1/4 cup chopped  pecans
1/2 cup chopped celery
3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
mayonnaise (enough to moisten)
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Cover chicken with water; add salt, onion and stalk of celery.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat.  Cover and cook until chicken is tender, about 1 hour. Discard onion and celery.  Skin and debone chicken; chop into small chunks.  Add remaining ingredients; mix well.  Keep refrigerated.
Honored Contributor

I loved the shredded chicken salad at a local diner here in town so I asked the waitress how it was made and the cook came out and told me it was shredded chicken in a can, and mayo - that's all. Not even salt. He said the tuna is the same - canned tuna , mayo. Now I use that same shredded chicken in a can , mayo, and add my favorites of celery and raisins, and serve it on a small plate of lettuce, shredded carrots, chopped peppers and then around the edge I put a hard boiled egg and a chopped tomatoe.