Regular Contributor

Cinnamon Custard Swirl Bread

/></span></span><br/> <br/> <br/> <span style=CINNAMON CUSTARD SWIRL BREAD
(From 1874 Stonehouse Bed & Breakfast)

5-5 1/2 c. all-purpose flour (I used bread flour and found it took about 4-4 1/2 c.)

2 Tbsp. active dry yeast (2 (1/4 oz. each) pkg.)
1 (3 oz.) package custard mix (the brand I found is Jell-O cook-and-serve custard mix-it's near the cook and serve puddings at the grocery store I go to)
1 tsp. salt
1 c. milk
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. butter or margarine
2 large eggs
1/2 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar

TOPPING:

2 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Combine 2 c. flour, yeast, custard mix and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.

Heat milk, water, and 1/4 c. butter in saucepan until warm (120-130 degrees; butter need not be melted).

Add milk mixture and eggs to flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened, then for 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make a firm dough.

Knead on floured board until smooth and elastic (5-8 minutes). Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).

For filling, combine 1/2 c. sugar and 1 Tbsp. cinnamon; set aside.

Punch dough down and divide into 2 parts. On lightly floured surface, roll each half to a 14x7-inch rectangle. Spread each with 1 Tbsp. softened butter. Combine 1/2 c. sugar and 1 Tbsp. cinnamon in a small bowl; sprinkle over butter. Roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll with each turn. Pinch ends and edges to seal.

Place in greased 9x5-inch loaf pans. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).

Bake @ 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Brush tops with 2 Tbsp. melted butter and sprinkle with mixture of 1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon. Remove from pans and cool on rack. Makes 2 loaves.