Respected Contributor

In my quest to own every small appliance ever made (?) I bought a churro maker at Aldi's the other day ($13.ish) I couldn't find the cat toy I was after . 

I do not care for deep fried items so thought this would be nice. It is pretty good. (it is like a single serve waffle maker --of course makng the stick like churros) It would have been best if the plates came out like the waffle maker I bought at evine (which is perfect for a small family). So far it is easy clean up.

I used a ketchup bottle to put the dough in and place it in the machine. Directions say to not use a plastic bag as it may melt. 

They turned out good . I am going to experiment with nuts and grains. I find the basic recipe a bit boring. I had a chocolate sauce for dipping , but found that a little heavy. I have purchased a prepared carmel sauce for my next serving = Nestle's La Lechera . Think I will have a salad for lunch , then try this afterward. They are fairly caloric-- but you only live once.

Anyone have experience with churros ? Recipes, ideas ,etc ?

Respected Contributor

i LOVE churros'. i will be keeping a eye on this post for ideas. heck,  i think i will google churro maker. maybe i need one too. Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

My favorite chocolate dipping sauce:

3/4 cup heavy cream

4 oz chocolate chips

1/4 tsp vanilla

Pinch of salt

Microwave cream, chocolate chips, and salt at 50% power until melted, stirring occasionally. Stir in vanilla until smooth. 

Honored Contributor

Seems like the ones I've eaten have just been rolled in a cinnamon/sugar mux.  No dipping sauce needed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Seems like the ones I've eaten have just been rolled in a cinnamon/sugar mux.  No dipping sauce needed.

@Kachina624Yes that is the classic with cinnamon & sugar . The booklet that came with it instructs for that--which is great-- and it also suggests the dipping sauces . I guess that is more decadent. @deepwaterdotter  ty for recipe .

I think the ones made in this machine would be good for toddlers into finger food (if it doesn't create a choking hazard) . 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Churros --ideas

[ Edited ]

@okaywitheasypay - I love churros! I tried a churro maker and wasn't impressed with the results; if I can't get someone else to deep fry me a few, I have a recipe for baked churros that I use (let me know if you're interested and I can share).

If you want an authentic chocolate dipping sauce, here's a recipe from renowned chef Rick Bayless that we enjoy:

Mexican Chocolate Sauce

1 C heavy cream
3 Tbsp agave syrup or corn syrup
4 oz bittersweet (60% to 70%) chocolate, chopped into small pieces
2 discs (about 3 oz) high-quality Mexican chocolate, chopped into small pieces
1/2 tsp ground Mexican cinnamon (canela)
1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground ancho chile (optional)

In a small saucepan, bring the cream and syrup to a full simmer over medium heat. Turn off the heat and immediately add the two chocolates, cinnamon, salt, vanilla, and ancho chile, if using. Whisk until the chocolates are completely melted and the mixture is smooth.

(Note: We tried the ancho addition just once; we weren't fans.)

Respected Contributor

@loriqvc 

Baked churros..yes! Please share!