Respected Contributor

I am having my daughter and grandkids and ex spose Christmas day.my menu consists of italian beef in the crockpot,but not sure what else.any suggestions would be appreciated q friends.

Have a great sunday!

Respected Contributor

@Luvsmyfam 

It is really nice that you and your ex are civil and friendly to each other.  I bet that means a lot to your children and grand children!

Personally, I love to have easy, ready to serve sides so that I can spend more time enjoying the day.  Maybe a tossed green salad, undressed, in a big bowl that you can just pull out of the fridge.  Or a nice fruit salad too?  

I love a nice relish tray with different veggies and a dip.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Trusted Contributor

Re: Christmas menu

[ Edited ]

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

I am having my daughter and grandkids and ex spose Christmas day.my menu consists of italian beef in the crockpot,but not sure what else.any suggestions would be appreciated q friends.

Have a great sunday!

@Sherrikay, I think this should be a great thread!  I bet many share their tried and true ideas and we will all be inspired. Woman Happy

After appetizers (charcuterie board and an anipasto salad), we always have a pasta dish first course, followed by the main course--usually a pork roast and many sides: make-ahead mashed potatoes, sugar snap peas with baby onions, shoepeg buttered corn, roasted asparagus, and garlic crescent rolls.

The pasta dishes vary each year: manicotti made from scratch, or stuffed shells, or lasagna rolls.  Lasagna rolls are easy to make and easier to serve than slicing regular lasagna.

Your Italian beef sounds good!  Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Thanks!

Gloria

ETA I forgot salad, of course! Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Italian beef sounds like it would go great with a nice pasta aglio and some veggies like zucchini's.  Maybe a salad to start?   We are having filet mignon, roasted red potatoes with onions and garlic with a big salad.   We only have our adult kids with their SO's and I let them choose the meal for Christmas.  DH makes his sepcialty Kalua chocolate mousse for dessert!!   

Whatever you decide I'm sure it will be great!  Have a great holiday @Luvsmyfam and everyone else on here Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Depending on the age of the grandkids, where they might not have developed a more adult palate yet, I would have separate sides for the kids and more adult fare for the adults.  

Valued Contributor

Cheesy noodles is a great side that kids like . The last few wedding buffets l went had that as a side . l was rather surprised the first time l saw it, but seems to be the normal now .

Honored Contributor

We enjoy Italian Beef and grandkids do too which is nice for family gatherings.  It makes a tasty and quick meal.  We usually have a salad for adults and quite often, Spinach Salad.  I think someone fixes macaroni and cheese for the grandkids as well.  I might suggest a good side dish which adults and children seem to like is that Hash Brown Casserole....Cubed Hash Browns, Shredded Cheese, onion, Cream of Mushroom Soup, s&p, crushed potato chips on top...baked.  And, of course....a yummy dessert! 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Christmas menu

[ Edited ]

@walker wrote:

I might suggest a good side dish which adults and children seem to like is that Hash Brown Casserole....Cubed Hash Browns, Shredded Cheese, onion, Cream of Mushroom Soup, s&p, crushed potato chips on top...baked.  And, of course....a yummy dessert! 

@walker , Hashbrown Casserole is always great and easy!  The one I make calls for cream of chicken soup (I think I'd like it with cream of mushroom, though) and the topping is a breadcrumb/butter mixture.

I wish the OP, sherrikay, would come back.  She is getting some great ideas here, plus I would love her Italian Beef recipe.  Woman Wink 

Honored Contributor

I'd start with an antipasta salad and then do a pan of roasted root vegetables, smashed potatoes.  I'd have to roast a chicken because half the people I know don't eat beef.  

Honored Contributor

What do you mean by Italian beef? Is it Bracciole? Hope I'm spelling that right.