Super Contributor

Christmas Dinner side dishes - marinated vegetables

For Christmas dinner I love to add marinated vegetables, for several reasons. They're delicious. It's another option for the diners. I can make it well ahead of time. If I make enough there is always some left over and it's really nice to have them to eat with a sandwich, especially if you've made a dinner which results in leftover meat for sandwiches. This first recipe in particular is one the guys seem to like, even those who claim not to like veggies. My opinion is that it's difficult to resist almost anything made with Good Seasons Garlic Herb dressing. I hope this will suit some of you, too.

Garlic Herb Marinated Vegetables

1/2 c Good Seasons Garlic Herb dressing made with Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar and Wesson Canola Oil - per 4 cups vegetables. I make 8 cups vegetables and use all of dressing made with one packet.

2 medium zucchini, washed, ends removed, cut in 1/8-1/4" coins
1 c cauliflower, cut into florets
1 c broccoli, cut into small florets
1 c mushroom caps, stems removed, wiped clean, and cut in half if large
1 scant cup artichokes, prepared from the salad bar at grocer's
1/2 red onion, cut into 6-8 wedges, wedges cut in half horizontally, leaves separated
cherry tomatoes, added at serving time
whole sm black olives for color, optional

Pour dressing over combined vegetables; toss. Cover or
put in recloseable plastic bag, and marinate in refrigerator 4 hours or overnight. Makes however many cups of vegetables you use.

I used a gallon-size Ziplock bag and marinated it 24 hours for the Christmas meal. Popular recipe.

Hot, Warm or Cold Marinated Vegetables

These vegetables are wonderful hot, cold, or at room temperature. They look nice when cut uniformly and have a crunchier texture; they reheat easily.

3 medium zucchini, cut in finger-size pieces, 2-1/2 inches long
3 or 4 carrots, cut in finger-size pieces
2/3 c white wine
1/3 c wine vinegar
2/3 c water
1 T coriander seeds, crushed
1 t thyme, preferably fresh
1 t fennel seeds
3 bay leaves, crumbled
5 or 6 lge onions, cut into 4-6 wedges, then separated into layers*
3 or 4 green or red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut in finger-length pieces
1/3-1/2 c peanut oil or olive oil
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Place all the ingredients except the onions, peppers, oil, and salt and pepper, in a lge non-aluminum saucepan or flameproof casserole. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the onions and peppers, bring back to the boil, and boil 5 minutes more. The vegetables should be soft enough to put a fork into, but still crunchy. Add the oil and season with salt and pepper.

Note: You may omit the white wine. If you do, increase the wine vinegar to 2/3 c.

*Don’t need quite so many onions; I cut it back to 3.