Regular Contributor

I love to bake and baking for Christmas always puts me in a good mood.  I start baking cookies right after Thanksgiving.  The variety of cookies depends on how much baking I am able to get in throughout the days leading up to Christmas.  As for freezing them I do what my Mom (who was the best baker I know) always did.  After cookies have cooled I place the cookies in Tupperware or some such food storage container, and place sheets of waxed paper in bewtween the layers of cookies. I also place wax paper on the top layer of cookies before I place the container's lid on.  This has always worked well for me ~ cookies stay fresh and taste wonderful. Happy baking!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas Cookies

[ Edited ]

@LUVNLIFE wrote:

@deepwaterdotter- Thanks for sharing your recipe. I am going to try this one this year. Sounds yummy!

My mother used to change this recipe up by substituting Nabisco Chocolate Wafers for the vanilla wafers.  They are very tasty that way too.

Respected Contributor

@Pook  Wait a minute Pook,  You roll out and cut out your sugar cookies and put the cut shapes in the freezer to take out and bake as needed later?!  NIFTY! Why didn't I think of that?  Guess who's making Cookies this year!!!  Thank You!

Honored Contributor

This thread is a reminder to me to BAKE THIS YEAR!!!  I have let myself get too busy during holidays and I don't take time for something I enjoy so much....baking Christmas cookies. When I was growing up, my DM always baked early in December and stored them in tins with tight lids.  I appreciate the tips here for storing and/or freezing them with parchment or wax paper and slice of bread too.  I will store in my Lock 'n Lock containers.   I will probably bake the old family recipes along with some new....Pecan Snowballs, Chocolate Snowballs, Pecan Pie Bars, Cream Cheese Cookies (tinted red and green)with Candied Cherries, Apricot cookies......getting hungry already!

Thanks and Happy Baking to all!

Honored Contributor

I made decorated sugar cookies with my kids when they were small.   What Santa didn’t eat went in the garbage.   Any cookie outside of a chocolate chip cookie is pretty much ignored here.   Therefore, I do not waste my time baking cookies.   

I make only one dessert for Christmas; either a jello salad or a pie.   

Esteemed Contributor

I admire all of you who love to bake and make so many wonderful Christmas cookies. My mother was the same way - she loved to bake cookies and everything she made was so good. I guess she didn't pass down her knack for baking to me, so I stick to making my sweet/salty pecans every year. Not nearly as difficult as what you all make, but they're pretty tasty! Still, there's nothing better than homemade Christmas cookies made with love!

Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I admire all of you who love to bake and make so many wonderful Christmas cookies. My mother was the same way - she loved to bake cookies and everything she made was so good. I guess she didn't pass down her knack for baking to me, so I stick to making my sweet/salty pecans every year. Not nearly as difficult as what you all make, but they're pretty tasty! Still, there's nothing better than homemade Christmas cookies made with love!

@jannabelle1

Please share your recipe! I've tried different methods, and I still don't have it down. TIA!