Honored Contributor

Re: Chris Pryme's Blueberry Bread - has anyone tried it?

That's an awful lot of oil. Sounds like it would be greasy.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I made this this afternoon and doubled the recipe because I had so many blueberries.  What a waste of blueberries.  

The batter was super thick and actually would have made 3 loaves.  I only had 2 loaf pans so I used those and made 8 super size muffins in addition.

I found, like housecat, that even the muffins had to bake at least an hour and the bread about an hour and a half.  

It turned out as heavy as a ton of bricks---more like pound cake than like a quick bread such as banana bread.

This will be a recipe that will not be kept in my file.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Wismiss, I'm so sorry for posting this and having you waste all those berries. I don't understand it. I thought Chris Pryme was a professional baker. Again, my apologies.
~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

In the past I have taken my zucchini bread recipe and omitted the zucchini and added a couple of cups of blueberries. It's actually to die for. I just experimented one day with it and the whole family loves it. Just a suggestion if anyone likes to experiment themselves. And house_cat - thank you for posting as you had no idea it wasn't a good recipe. It made me remember my recipe and I'm making some today. :-).
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't worry about it, house_cat.  I should have known that something was wrong.  The batter was so thick I could hardly fold in the blueberries.  I've done enough baking that I know with a new recipe you should not double it until you try it.  Oh, well, the world is not going to come to an end over 4 cups of blueberries.  I'm glad I hadn't grown them myself--now that would have been something else if I had picked them in this hot weather and then the bread didn't turn out.  

I'm thinking like someone else said---she is a professional baker, so she either hadn't tested the recipe herself before sharing it or maybe one of the ingredient's measurement was typed incorrectly. 

Again, don't worry, house_cat.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Thanks, Wismiss. I'm trying a new one today for New York Style Crumb Cake. I'll post it AFTER I bake it!
~ house cat ~
Frequent Contributor

Could 325 be a typo? I wondfer if thjis recipe exists somewhere else, I'm going to search. Thanks for the update houecat, you saved me some trouble it sounds like.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:
Okay. In the interest of full disclosure, I have to say that I just tossed the entire loaf into the trash. Blech. I baked it quite a bit longer than the directions called for, and it was still mushy in the middle. That's a giant turn-off for me. I don't think I did anything incorrectly. If anyone else bakes it, please post your results. Thank you.

Hey house_cat, can you post something to David or Chris (don't know if she has a way to contact her) and ask your question. I had that same thing happen once to a bread I made. Can't remember what fruit was used - I want to say pumpkin - but I really don't remember. I'd like to know the answer to the center not baking too. If you do get an answer, please post. Thanks. Sorry you didn't get that bread! I'm sure you'd have been enjoying it now.