Esteemed Contributor

Though this time of year thoughts tend toward lighter fare in cookies or perhaps ethnic favorites for religious holidays, chocolate never fails to make the top of my list.  This cookie is the best chocolate cookie recipe I own.  the dough is messy to work with; however, the end product is scrumptuous!

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies from America’s Test Kitchen

By far, the best chocolate cookie I’ve ever baked and eaten. Guests always go back for another one.  Couple of things: (1) The dough is really messy and sticky; (2) I use less cookie dough for each cookie than stated in the recipe; (3)  The espresso powder is not necessary, but imparts a great complexity to the flavor of the cookie.  My 3-1/2 yr old granddaughter has no complaints about the slight coffee taste;  (4)  These travel well, because they’re really moist.  I’m baking these next week to send to 2 friends I met on these forums (one in New York & one in Florida).

1 cup all-purpose flour

½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking powder

¼ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

1 ½ cups packed brown sugar

3 large eggs, room temp

4 teaspoons instant espresso powder

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

½ cup granulated sugar

½ cup sifted confectioners' sugar

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in bowl.

Whisk brown sugar; eggs; espresso powder, if using; and vanilla together in large bowl. Combine chocolate and butter in bowl and microwave at 50 percent power, stirring occasionally, until melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk chocolate mixture into egg mixture until combined. Fold in flour mixture until no dry streaks remain. Let dough sit at room temperature for 10 minutes – this last step makes a huge difference.

Place granulated sugar and confectioners’ sugar in separate shallow dishes. Working with 2 tablespoons dough (or use #30 scoop) at a time, roll into balls. Drop dough balls directly into granulated sugar and roll to coat. Transfer dough balls to confectioners’ sugar and roll to coat evenly. Evenly space dough balls on prepared sheets, 11 per sheet.

Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until puffed and cracked and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft (cookies will look raw between cracks and seem underdone), about 11 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through baking. Don’t over-bake. Let cool completely on sheet before serving.

Enjoy!

Super Contributor

Re: Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

These can also be done in Red Velvet....these are one of my favorite cookies ....

Honored Contributor

When I'm in a hurry I make the lemon crinkle version of these cookies. I just pick up a box of lemon cake mix and create them. These have become my go-to cookies and I HAVE to make them whenever our kids come for a visit! I've made the chocolate and red velvet and my gang love the lemon the best! Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

These are a x-mas cookie my family bakes every year.  Love them.

Valued Contributor

I use this same recipe from America's Test Kitchen. It is delicious!