Honored Contributor

Re: Chocolate Chips

[ Edited ]

We have Nestles or Ghirardelli chips.  The Ghirardelli chocolate makes a superior product!

Honored Contributor

@kismet 

We ❤️ them!  Besides the obvious recipes, one of my favorite ways to use them is to top my vanilla bean ice cream!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

A girlfriend turned me on to Guittard chips a number of years ago.  On a par with Ghirardelli.  Not available in my city, in fact, she has a friend that ships them to her from Denver by the carload.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Chocolate Chips

[ Edited ]

@Ainhisg wrote:

Agree with @panda1234!  Aldi semi-sweet chocolate chips have such a good taste.  I much prefer them over Nestle, which is what I used to buy.

@Ainhisg @Right now they have their Belgian semi-sweet and dark chocolate chunks instead of chips. I believe the semi-sweet chips are on sale this week for $1.29.

Respected Contributor

@WORKING GAL wrote:

@panda1234 - This week's Aldi ad has their 12 oz. bags of chocolate chips for $1.29.  This is the time of year to stock up - they have the semi sweet, mini chips and dark chocolate chips.  I think they taste fine.

@WORKING GAL  I didn't read your post and just posted the same thing. They have butter for $1.99. I have been getting their pure vanilla extract for baking. I think it is 2oz for around $5.00, it does make a difference.

Respected Contributor

I like to get a milk chocolate candy bar and chop that up and use 1/2 cup of that and 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chips. The 2 types of chocolate adds something to the cookie.

Honored Contributor

My go to was usually Nestles chips--but recently I got the milk choc ones and the taste is off-----besides a smaller package for more money----just taste weird--have been using Sees semi sweet choc drops that are outstanding---but costly--ghirardelli chips are good so are guittard.Used to buy the store brands but they taste like wax----most times I buy the bars like Dove or Lindt or godiva and chop them up to use. Don't bake much anymore tho.

Valued Contributor

I don't believe there's an Aldi's on the west coast.  Think I'll try Costco.  I bought their large bag of dark chocolate powder and it's fine.  Grocery stores charge so much for a small can.  I think Costco's has a better chocolate flavor.  Trader Joe's use to have a good vanilla.  I don't bake as much as I use to but share the larger bags of things with my daughter. 

Trusted Contributor

@kismet - There are many Aldi's on the West Coast.  I live in Ventura County and we have two in the city I live in.  I know they are scattered around.  Go on their website and see if there is one in your area.