Esteemed Contributor
I use tomato juice and a large can of crushed tomatoes along with sauteed onion 2 lb of ground beef a can of black beans and a can of red beans. I add a tiny touch of sugar or brown sugar and the spices I use are chili seasoning, cumin, red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper. I also like to saute up Serrano or habanero peppers with my onions.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

Re: Chilli time

[ Edited ]

I use Carroll Shelby's Chili Kit.

'I use white and red kidney beans, 1 can of Fire roasted tomatoes with garlic. Sometimes I make it without beef.

I add a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, and brown sugar.

I doctor it up as I cook.

'I use dried minced onions which I simmer with tomatoes, I add tomato paste.

The kit has most of the seasonings you need, I add more. It also include masa to make it thick.

It was a favorite of my dear sister, she liked homemade cornbread with it, cheese and sour cream.

I'm sure there's more I add to it.

Oh, red and green bell peppers!

For all my Mexican dishes and Latin, I add unsweetened cocoa powder.

Honored Contributor

On my bucket list, is to find and make excellent chili!!! Mine is ---okWoman Indifferent----hit or miss as to how good it is. I do like meat and beans in mine and can be spicy or not. I have added a pinch of cocoa powder to it as well which seems to help out with the flavor. Nothing to write home over tho. 

Esteemed Contributor

Use a can of Seasoned (ready to ear) Black Beans to your chili.  Used them by mistake once...now, always!

Respected Contributor

I cook and add Cacique Pork Chorizo to my chili, we like heat and it adds a kick to the mixture along with the other ingredients.

Valued Contributor

I will be 71 years young next week.  I have collected a ridiculous amount of cookbooks and recipes over the years. After trying "The Best Classic Chili" on The Wholesome Dish website, I threw all other chili recipes away!  I buy most of my spices from Penzey's. The only thing I tweaked was substituting the chili powder to Ancho Chili Powder, Medium Hot Chili Powder, Regular Chili Powder and Chili Con Carne seasoning to total the 2-1/2 Tablespoons. For me, it's just right. Flavorful, rich and a little kick.

Respected Contributor

Re: Chilli time

[ Edited ]

@coconut1818 

I have been using the New Mexico Chili powder, will have to look for the Ancho Chili powder, thanks for the tip. 

Happy early birthday wishes, too!

Super Contributor

I made chili this week.  I like to boil the ground beef (until meat has "browned and is crumbly").  I drain the meat, squeezing all of the moisture out, along with all of the fat!  I only use pinto beans, and simmer for several hours with a diced onion and jalapeno pepper (I don't remove the seeds}.  For spices I use 3 T chili powder, 1 t. oregano, 1 t cumin, and 3 T bulger (a thickening agent).  These spices are added to 2 # ground beef, and 2 quarts of tomato sauce.  My family doesn't like whole bites of tomato in their chili, so I can ground tomatoes, peppers and onions together into a "thin" sauce.  I serve my chili with shredded Cheddar cheese, diced raw onion, sliced jalapeno peppers, soda crackers, and/or corn chips.  I keep reading people like to eat cornbread with their chili, and I intend to give it a try at some point.  Here in the mid west, we often serve chili with a vegetable relish plate, dill pickles/okra with homemade cinnamon rolls and chocolate sheet cake for dessert.

Valued Contributor
I was going to add something on here, but with so many wonderful cooks and ideas, I think everything I thought of is here but I remember a chili recipe from everybody loves Raymond. Patricia Heaton made It was absolutely delicious. You don’t see too many of her recipe videos anymore I think they’re buried on the Internet. But they’re really good.
Valued Contributor
I just love your detail of this recipe for chili, for someone who really doesn’t know how to do chili that’s an awesome explanation. I don’t make it a lot because there’s only two of us and I don’t have a lot of freezer room lol sounds good though.