Respected Contributor

This was dinner tonight.  It was a new dish for us, and DH said he thinks he now prefers it over Huevos Rancheros.  

Chilaquiles Verde with Eggs
Rachael Ray Show | April 27, 2016

Serves 4

8 tomatillos

1 small white onion, quartered 
4 fat cloves garlic, cracked 
2 jalapeño peppers 
Cooking spray
Salt and pepper
2 limes 
2 teaspoons cumin 
1 tablespoon fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme 
A small handful cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon honey or agave 
1 package good quality blue corn tortilla chips, preferred brand Que Pasa
2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese 
1 avocado
1 cup sour cream
Butter, for cooking eggs
4 large eggs 
1 cup queso fresco crumbles
Finely chopped green onion
Green Tabasco or other green hot sauce, such as Bronx Hot Sauce

For the salsa:  Heat broiler and place a rack in the upper third of the oven.

Lightly spray tomatillos, onions, jalapeños and garlic with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Char and cook under the broiler to just-tender, add to food processor and season with salt. Add juice of 1 lime, cumin, oregano, thyme, cilantro, agave and purée salsa; adjust salt. Transfer to a bowl, and rinse out food processor.

For the Crema:  In the food processor, combine avocado, sour cream, juice of remaining lime and salt. Purée until creamy.

To assemble:  Arrange a single layer of blue tortillas (about 4 servings) on a baking sheet and top with Pepper Jack, bake to crisp tortillas and melt cheese.

Arrange and divide the chips among 4 plates.

Cook eggs over-easy to medium.

Top tortillas with some of the warm salsa and place eggs over chips. Garnish with queso crumbles, scallions, avocado cream and green hot sauce.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: Chilaquiles Verde with Eggs

Sounds great!  I love tomatillos.  

Respected Contributor

I love chilaquiles!

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne  Even if you don't go with the rest of the dish, the salsa, made with the tomatillos, is delicious and could be used many ways and times.

@Mothertrucker  So do we--now.  Woman Happy  This is a flavor-filled meal.  BTW, I just discovered Chicagoan posted another version, from Chef Mario Batali, a few years ago.  It is here.

Respected Contributor

Yes, we usually have them for breakfast...I always thought they were just a local thing..Being in So Cal...lots of the drive thru,s and restaurants have them..I even do a version in my WP rice cooker of all things!  

Its a great way to use leftovers!

Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

Yes, we usually have them for breakfast...I always thought they were just a local thing..Being in So Cal...lots of the drive thru,s and restaurants have them..I even do a version in my WP rice cooker of all things!  

Oooh if you have a moment I would love the recipe @Mothertrucker! . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Hi G! Just saw this.

Back when they were married, my son & his wife honeymooned on the Yucatan Peninsula, and he fell in love with Chilaquiles for breakfast. Every. Single. Day. LOL! His wife is a great cook, and they're now part of her breakfast repertoire. Yummy!

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Mothertrucker wrote:

Oooh if you have a moment I would love the recipe @Mothertrucker! . . . Smiley Happy

Easy..just layer your favorite green salsa or enchilada sauce ( which I mix with a little crema or sour cream), with thick, slightly crushed corn chips or tostada " shells",  layer some cheese, whatever you like...Imsometimes add shredded chicken..when just snout done...and this is.  a ry flexible thing, best a couple eggs and stir in until they are set to your liking...or you can set them, whole, on top and let them cook that way..

actually,,the skinny mini is a little better cause the lid comes on and off easier!

you can also use red sauce...basically chilaquiles is a way to se leftover tortillas, sauce and cheese...most people DO add egg..

Respected Contributor

@sabatini  Hi!  I am one of those people who would like mornings a whole lot better if they started later in the day.  I don't even speak coherently until I've had half-to-two-thirds of a pot of coffee.  So, for the G household, this traditional breakfast dish--and any other that is more complicated than toast--is reserved for the dinner meal. 

The thought of eating the same thing Every. Single. Day. is another odd concept to me.  I have a self-imposed rule that we don't eat the same dish more than twice a season.

Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Mothertrucker wrote:

Easy..just layer your favorite green salsa or enchilada sauce ( which I mix with a little crema or sour cream), with thick, slightly crushed corn chips or tostada " shells",  layer some cheese, whatever you like...Imsometimes add shredded chicken..when just snout done...and this is.  a ry flexible thing, best a couple eggs and stir in until they are set to your liking...or you can set them, whole, on top and let them cook that way..

actually,,the skinny mini is a little better cause the lid comes on and off easier!

you can also use red sauce...basically chilaquiles is a way to se leftover tortillas, sauce and cheese...most people DO add egg..

Thank you so much @Mothertrucker, I wasn't sure about when to add the tortilla chips so this was most helpful . . . yay, I can't wait to try it!  Smiley Happy