Chicken Cutlets with Mushrooms and Pearl Onions

4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
3/4 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed and drained
8 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
3/4 cup brandy  (Mrs. G:  You can substitute white wine.)
1 cup chicken stock
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 Tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves

Cut each chicken breast in half horizontally to 8 cutlets. Heat a large pan over medium-high heat.  Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place flour in a dish; dredge chicken, shaking off excess.

Add 1 Tablespoon olive pan; swirl to coat. Add 4 cutlets to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or done. Remove chicken pan, and keep warm. Repeat procedure with l Tablespoon olive oil and remaining 4 cutlets.

Add remaining 1 Tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add pearl onions and mushrooms; sauté 6 minutes or until browned. Remove pan from heat. Carefully add brandy to pan; return pan to medium-high heat, and bring mixture to a boil. Cook until liquid almost evaporates (about 2 minutes).

Combine stock and cornstarch, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add stock mixture to pan, stirring with a whisk, cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Return chicken to pan; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, butter, and thyme.

Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
1 ½ pounds asparagus, trimmed
2 Tablespoons olive oil
½ cup breadcrumbs
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat oven to 425º.  Lightly grease or spray a baking sheet and set aside.

Combine asparagus and olive oil in a large zip close bag and shake to coat. Add the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the bag and shake to coat.

Spread in an even layer on the baking sheet and bake for 7 to 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the asparagus is still slightly crisp-tender

Toasted Orzo

Mrs. G:  This is made similarly to risotto, i.e., liquid added in increments; however, it is much faster and continual stirring is not necessary.  You're welcome.  Woman Happy

For 2 servings:

~2 Tablespoons Butter

1/2 - 2/3 cup dry orzo (rice-shaped pasta)

8 ounces chicken broth
~3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Toast the orzo in a medium skillet with about 2 Tablespoons melted butter until it is a golden brown.  Add about 1/2 cup of chicken stock and bring to boil. Simmer uncovered, occasionally stirring and adding a little more chicken broth and some Parmesan cheese, until just tender and a little broth remains, about 8 minutes.  You will have a 'creamy' pasta.

Variations:   According to taste, you can add lemon juice, scallions, or toasted pine nuts.  

Wine to serve:  Your favorite white.  We had a Portuguese Vinho Verde.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Re: Chicken w Mushrooms & Onions; Asparagus; Orzo

OMG, MrsG, that sounds delicious!!

And THANK YOU for the toasted orzo & Parmesan asparagus recipes. You've thought of everything, as usual. Woman Happy

Thanks again!

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

This is what I love about you and your recipes @IamMrsG . . . at first I am totally terrified they will be too complicated for me to make properly but then after reading through them they are delicious and not too complicated or labor intensive/tough to find ingredients . . . these are just wonderful, thanks so much for sharing!

Respected Contributor

@sabatini and @momtochloe  As ever, you're welcome for the recipes.  

I hesitated creating a thread for a whole meal, but was less comfortable creating three separate threads.  Self promotion isn't my thing, and that's what it would have felt like seeing my name plastered all over.

I'm a huge proponent of mise en place, having everything sliced, diced, measured, etc., before turning on the first stove burner. With everything ready to go, the beauty of this menu is that all three dishes easily come together at the same time.  What I mean is, when you get to the part about adding the onions and mushrooms to the chicken pan, that's the time to put the asparagus into the oven and start toasting the orzo.

@momtochloe, I flinched when I read you doubt your ability with some of the recipes I share.  Lady, please don't do that to yourself!  I accept that, as a 'scratch' cook, some recipes might be too time consuming after a day at work, not everyone wants an hour or more in the kitchen to get dinner on the table.  Those would be the dishes I would save for a Sunday afternoon, making ahead and planning for use later in the work week.  

@sabatini, that toasted orzo (my name for it) is a favorite of my DH.  The measurements I gave make two fairly small portions. If you want the full quantity numbers (makes 6 servings), I'll be happy to post them for you.

Bon appétit, y'all! 

Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG

What a wonderful looking menu!  Brandy and wine have quite a difference in taste to me ( I love both).  Have you made it each way and which did you prefer? 

We are trying to go more low carb these days; do you think riced cauliflower would work in place of the orzo?  Please don't think I am trying to change your menu; if you think the orzo is the way to go, I will make it that way but if you think it won't compromise the dish much, will probably try it with riced cauliflower instead. 

And I love the "entire meal" being posted with recipes.  Sometimes I can come up with one component of a meal and wonder what to serve with it.  This helps on those kind of occasions!

Respected Contributor

@mustang66lady  You're right, of course, there is quite a flavor difference between brandy and wine; however, I've only used the brandy for this dish.  No doubt Chardonnay would make for a lighter flavor.  Now that I think about it, Sherry might be good, too.  Also, it wouldn't be wrong to use chicken stock or broth if you wanted to avoid alcohol altogether.  

I see no reason why you could not use riced cauliflower as your side. This menu is just how we had it the other night.  By all means, don't hesitate to make it your own and enjoy it your way.  

I've served a tossed salad and green beans with the chicken dish before. The asparagus and orzo were used just because it had been a while since we had either.  I've also made a note to myself that smashed potatoes would be good.

Here's what I mean by "smashed potatoes":

Smashed Potatoes

Boil desired number of small, new potatoes until fork tender.  Remove from the water and set aside.  

Meanwhile, preheat both the oven and a sheet pan to 375º.  Add enough butter to the hot pan for generously coating the potatoes.

Using a coffee cup or saucer, flatten the potatoes so as to squish them, breaking their skins, but not to the point of tearing the potatoes apart.  

Put the potatoes into the hot butter, turning to coat each side. Sprinkle liberally with coarse salt.  

Return the pan to the oven and bake, turning once, until the skins have turned a golden brown, about 6-8 minutes.   

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @IamMrsG!

This is what I love about this forum. I usually prepare a recipe as written the first time and then tweek it to our preferrence but this forum allows someone to ask an opinion and get a great answer.  I love cooking with alcohol and think i will try this with brandy first.  May not try the wine if we like it with the brandy a lot (which I think we will).    DH would love the orzo; I am not a pasta person (I know I am strange but pasta is usually not my first choice) and since we are trying to lower the carbs, I don't think I will let him know that the suggested side is pasta!  Shame on me!  Woman LOL

We both love asparagus and have yet to find a way to prepare that we didn't love.  Potatoes are always my jam-certainly more than pasta and luckily DH loves them too.  Again, thanks for sharing and answering my questions.  Have a nice weekend.

Respected Contributor

Hi, G! Smiley Happy

Please, please DON'T give me an amended recipe to make a larger portion of the toasted orzo, as I have a (huge) portion control problem! I am a hearty eater. Woman LOL

** segue:

When I was young, back when the Vietnamese 'boat people' crisis was happening, my parents took in a Vietnamese family. Much later, after the family was able to buy their own home nearby, they'd have us over for dinner, and the mother would pull out all the stops, serving a table full of various dishes. OMG, that woman could cook!! She loved that I LOVED her food, and she'd grin & say '(my name), she love to eat!!'

When the food is that deeeeelicious, yes, you bet I do!

**segue over

What I love so much about your recipes, G, is that they're so precise, & you break them down. I admire that because I'm such a laissez faire cook, throwing in this or that, thereby sometimes unable to duplicate a dish. As they say, 'that's the way I roll'. Haha! (?)

Two things: In your fish recipe thread, I changed my post because after I'd read it, I wondered if it came across as rude, which wasn't my intention! I was just trying to say that your recipe was far different from the standard N.E. fare I'm accustomed to - not a dig by any scope of the imagination!

But, I think you know that. Heart

BTW, I don't know if I ever mentioned this to you, but I've made your port sauce recipe a number of times for beef dishes. Deeeelicios!

Have a great day! Smiley Happy

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

@sabatini  Hey, Lady!  Oh boy, do I ever empathize with your description of your appetite as I'm sometimes concerned that mine own borders on gluttony.  Woman Embarassed  I am 'blessed' (?) with a love for good food, the wholly (or holy, if you will) pleasure of flavors and textures.  And I married man with the same appreciation.  Unlike me, however, he can eat what and how much he wants and still get into his slacks.  

I'd wager that you are a better cook than me.  What you call "laissez faire," I call "creative."  I am not a creative cook, and to be more honest about it, I need instructions.  Hence my large collection of recipes.  

Your original post in the Fish Sandwich thread did not offend me in the slightest. In fact, your reason for editing it came as a complete surprise as it didn't cross my mind you meant to be abrasive or rude--I don't think you have it in you, actually. You've never been anything but friendly.

Ah yes, that port sauce!  I remember it well and fondly, but have not made it for two years, as I think back.  I made a stuffed Crown Roast of Pork for Christmas the following year, and it was requested by family again this past Christmas.  Maybe it's time to rotate holiday menus.

Respected Contributor

Hi again, G!

I doubt that I'm a better cook than you, but do admit that I'm the capable type.

Back when I worked in hotel restaurants, there was a Food & Bev Mgr who I loved, & the 2 of us could really get things done! One day he said to me 'You and I aren't prancing ponies. We're the workhorses that carry the load.'
He was right. Not fancy, but a mule. Haha! 

What's (just one) of your spectacular traits, G, is that you're always looking for something new to cook! It's amazing that you never serve the same thing twice.......not for quite awhile, at least.

I look to you for inspiration, & speaking of, ....there's that new post of yours: Croque-Monsieur. Ooh La La!! Woman LOL

Muddling through...