Valued Contributor

Chicken in roasted poblano sauce

Great for shredded Chicken Tacos, sauce for Fajitas and other Mexican dishes.

2 lbs Chicken thighs or breasts
4 Poblanos, skin removed and seeded after roasting
6 Tomatillos
1 Jalapenos, seeded
1 tbls Oregano
Salt to taste
1-2 tbls Chicken Bouillon
1 tsp Cumin
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 tbls Olive Oil

sour cream... optional, use if sauce is to hot and to calm down the heat

1. Under the broiler I put 4 poblanos 6 tomatillos and 1 jalapeno about 15 mins flipping half way through, until skins are charred on peppers and tomatillos change color and are soft.

2. Add Tomatillos to a blender and Chiles to a bag to steam and remove skins and seeds, then once that's done add them to blender (reserve 1 poblano and dice, set aside for later) with oregano, salt and chicken bouillon, blend and set aside.

3. Season chicken with salt pepper cumin and garlic, Add to a hot pan with olive oil and brown on all sides, then remove chicken and set aside.

4. In that same pan, Add 1 diced onion and chopped garlic cloves, cook a few mins.

5. Add in sauce, bring to a boil add chicken and simmer for about 45 mins until chicken is shreddable.

6. Shred Chicken and add to sauce with the reserved diced poblano and cook to desired thickness.

Note... adjust measurements for taste and heat.  This sauce is good for any type of Mexican dishes.

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Trusted Contributor

Re: Chicken in roasted poblano sauce

@Chicagoan

@chicagoan wrote:

Great for shredded Chicken Tacos, sauce for Fajitas and other Mexican dishes.

2 lbs Chicken thighs or breasts
4 Poblanos, skin removed and seeded after roasting
6 Tomatillos
1 Jalapenos, seeded
1 tbls Oregano
Salt to taste
1-2 tbls Chicken Bouillon
1 tsp Cumin
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 tbls Olive Oil

sour cream... optional, use if sauce is to hot and to calm down the heat

1. Under the broiler I put 4 poblanos 6 tomatillos and 1 jalapeno about 15 mins flipping half way through, until skins are charred on peppers and tomatillos change color and are soft.

2. Add Tomatillos to a blender and Chiles to a bag to steam and remove skins and seeds, then once that's done add them to blender (reserve 1 poblano and dice, set aside for later) with oregano, salt and chicken bouillon, blend and set aside.

3. Season chicken with salt pepper cumin and garlic, Add to a hot pan with olive oil and brown on all sides, then remove chicken and set aside.

4. In that same pan, Add 1 diced onion and chopped garlic cloves, cook a few mins.

5. Add in sauce, bring to a boil add chicken and simmer for about 45 mins until chicken is shreddable.

6. Shred Chicken and add to sauce with the reserved diced poblano and cook to desired thickness.

Note... adjust measurements for taste and heat.  This sauce is good for any type of Mexican dishes.

OH MY GOODNESS, how did you know I could eat Mexican-style food for every single meal?  This sounds fabulous.Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Chicagoan

How are you doing?  This recipe sounds wonderful and am adding it to my "mexican dishes" file!  Can't wait to try it!  Love to fix this type of meal on the weekend and serve with a big margarita out on the deck-of course tonight (and all day) we have had rain!   Maybe Sunday will be good!

Take care of yourself, my friend.  Have a wonderful weekend!   Thanks for sharing!   Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

Hi @mustang66lady... I am doing good, recovering from foot tendon transplant and Achilles heal surgery and doing a lot of physical theraphy.  I hope all is well with you and your family.  A nice margarita sounds so good right now... lol

Esteemed Contributor

@chicagoan wrote:

Hi @mustang66lady... I am doing good, recovering from foot tendon transplant and Achilles heal surgery and doing a lot of physical theraphy.  I hope all is well with you and your family.  A nice margarita sounds so good right now... lol

@Chicagoan

Oh wow, I had no idea you had a transplant-never heard of this type but I can't even begin to imagine the pain you were in to have to have this done!  Heart  Please take care of your good self!  Wish we could do something to help!  Maybe coming here is some form of therapy for you as well.  I came here a lot, just lurking, as I recovered from cancer.  Prayers for your fast recovery my friend!  (((hugs)))

Valued Contributor

Hugs to you and I hope your recovery will be 100%.  I am doing just fine with my recovery, it will be a long haul... I just impatient to drive myself again and get out and do what I want.