Respected Contributor

Re: Chicken and Tuna Salad Ideas Anyone?

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme wrote:

I like to store a few cans of tuna and chicken in the pantry for "just in case".  But, I like to keep a "fresh" stock as I feel better eating canned food that hasn't been  around foreverWoman Wink!

Anyone want to offer up some new ideas for making these items more delectable?Woman Frustrated

@eddyandme   If you don't want to make tuna salad, you can make tuna burgers with the canned tuna.  They are so good.. I can't eat tuna salad anymore..  I ate tuna everyday back many years ago when I was skinny, so I can't eat it raw (canned) or in a salad nowadays.   It's just not appetizing anymore like it used to be.

Esteemed Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

I like to store a few cans of tuna and chicken in the pantry for "just in case".  But, I like to keep a "fresh" stock as I feel better eating canned food that hasn't been  around foreverWoman Wink!

Anyone want to offer up some new ideas for making these items more delectable?Woman Frustrated

@eddyandme   If you don't want to make tuna salad, you can make tuna burgers with the canned tuna.  They are so good.. I can't eat tuna salad anymore..  I ate tuna everyday back many years ago when I was skinny, so I can't eat it raw (canned) or in a salad nowadays.   It's just not appetizing anymore like it used to be.

@KatieB  - tuna burgers!!  Sounds good.  What's in the mix, I'd like to try them!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme   Here's the recipe I use:

Tuna Burgers

• 4 5-oz. cans chunk light tuna in water, drained 
  • 1 4-oz. sleeve saltines (about 40 crackers), crushed 
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten 
  • 1/2 small onion, finely chopped 
  • 1 rib celery, finely chopped  
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper 
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

Combine all ingredients except oil.  Form into patties.  Heat oil in non-stick skillet and cook until golden brown.  About 5 minutes per side.

I use 2 of the larger 12 oz cans of tuna.  Sometimes I will add bell pepper if I have any on hand.

About 250 cal per burger

Esteemed Contributor

YUM.......!

@KatieB 

Sounds easy and yummy!  Thanks, KatieB!

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme One quick suggestion for a salad:  A spoonful of salsa and a little mayo!  Maybe a good squirt of lemon as well.  

You can eat on a roll or as a sandwich, open face, or scoop it up with some tortilla chips!  

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

YUM.......!

@KatieB 

Sounds easy and yummy!  Thanks, KatieB!

@eddyandme   Forgot to mention my hints:

If the mixture is too stiff, add a tablespoon of mayo or more if needed.  If the mixture is too loose, add more crackers. 

I like these better than salmon burgers. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Best chicken salad I've ever eaten in my life was at a friend's house for a ladies' luncheon.  

When I first posted her recipe here many years ago, I  was new to QVC and got all kinds of flak from people who thought ketchup in chicken salad was an insane, disgusting idea..  (Noticed some folks were asking for that recipe years after that, because  it had been wiped out when QVC underwent a major computer change.  Some had saved it and kindly reposted it.

Try it if you like tarragon, which I often use  when roasting whole chickens or other poultry dishes, too..  

TARRAGON CHICKEN SALAD

1 cup mayonnaise

2 teaspoons tarragon vinegar

1 teaspoon lemon juice

2 tablespoons ketchup (catsup, if you prefer that spelling)

1 teaspoon dry tarragon (or 3 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon

-- Mix all and refrigerate a while to blend flavors, then fold into chopped or diced chicken

Respected Contributor

My favorite  tuna salad sandwich consists of  the tuna/mayo/celery mixture on a roll with some thinly sliced tomato, onion  and plenty of fresh spinach leaves.

Pickled  spicy yellow peppers are a nice addition to that sandwich, too.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1   I remember when this recipe was "resurrected" and tried it and it was very good.

You can also use a little Kraft brand Catalina salad dressing--classic or bold, spicy version for a change of pace.

A little Kraft Catalina is also good in a macaroni salad.

Happy Sunday of Labor Day weekend all!

aroc3435