Trusted Contributor

Chicken and Rice Soup

[ Edited ]

I wanted to use up what I had in the fridge so came up with this.  Didn't follow a recipe so just winged it and it turned out pretty good.   This is what I used.

Box of baby portabella. 
bag of carrots

celery

onion

bag of green beans 

rotisserie chicken

jar of drained green olives

couple cloves of garlic

3 boxed containers of chicken stock

salt and pepper

poultry seasoning

cube of chicken bouillon 

cup of uncooked basmati rice 

Prepped by cutting the veggies into bite size pieces.  Sautéed the onions, mushrooms, celery in butter until they cooked down.   Added some salt, pepper and garlic in the process.   
Added the 3 boxes of chicken stock then the carrots, green beans and maybe a tablespoonful of poultry seasoning and the chicken bouillon. 
I let this simmer for about 30 minutes then added the uncooked rice and the cut up rotisserie chicken.   Let it simmer for 30 minutes more. When it was finished the hubbie wanted to see how a jar of green olives would add to the flavor.    It did by providing a nice subtle punch of flavor.     

B1628FD6-A660-4FC3-979E-BD845D860044.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: Chicken and Rice Soup

[ Edited ]

Looks good. Lots of veggies, I like that. I would make it!,, without poultry seasoning. I love soups lately, as they keep in fridge and I don't have to. cook, it's always ready eat.  My husband and I are retired and many times oir stomachs eat at different times, having a healthy pot of soup or stew ready I soo handy   We eat for a few days and freeze enough for a meal

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It looks delicious, I would need to leave out the olives as my husband doesn't like them. Great way to use up the stuff you have on hand, love it. @CoffeeNut 

Honored Contributor

That's a great way to clean out the refrigerator and use up your produce.

It sounded great until you got to the green olives.  That was unexpected.

It looks colorful and delicious.  Maybe next time I make soup, I'll drop in an olive or two and try it out.

Trusted Contributor

@CoffeeNut 

It looks delicious and easy to make, I'll try it this weekend. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CoffeeNut Looks good and hardy. I love all kinds of soups. I can often live on soups and salads for days. I've often made a veggie soup I just throw together, like you said...to "use up what I have in the fridge"...I call it "kitchen sink" soup.

I make many on my own, but I also live 5 min. from a local farm market where they make quarts of several types of delicious soups and when I don't want to cook I go pick up one of them. I get at least 4-5 meals from those.

One thing...and I'm an olive lover...never in my life have I seen green (or any other) olive in a soup! Interesting...must give it a savory, briney taste.

Enjoy!

Trusted Contributor

@amyb   How wonderful to have a farmers market so close to you.  I'd be purchasing a lot of the soups too.

The green olives did just that.  It actually complemented the other flavors and didn't overpower the soup.  

Respected Contributor

@CoffeeNut wrote:

@amyb   How wonderful to have a farmers market so close to you.  I'd be purchasing a lot of the soups too.

The green olives did just that.  It actually complemented the other flavors and didn't overpower the soup.  

Great to know...I'm going to try it sometime! You taught me something, I'd have never thought of trying. And I love green olives (all olives)...I swear that's the single reason I love maritinis, is to have that gin/vodka soaked 🫒 🍸 😋