Honored Contributor

Re: Chicken and Fluffy Dumplings!! from scratch!!

@colliegirls wrote:

OMG, I LOVE chicken and dumplings!!!  ( I don't want to make the dumplings from scratch though, I am lazy)

@colliegirls***It's not at all hard!  Measure three little things and stir!

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

OMG, I LOVE chicken and dumplings!!!  ( I don't want to make the dumplings from scratch though, I am lazy)

@colliegirls***It's not at all hard!  Measure three little things and stir!

I am not lazy but I actually prefer the texture and taste of canned buttermilk biscuits.  The fact that it is easier and less messy is just a plus!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Ladies, you're in luck!  We did homemade Chicken and (Fluffy) Dumplings in my Advanced Foods class!

@ECBG

Thanks for the recipe, this sounds delicious!

Honored Contributor

@Britbrit13 wrote:
Im looking for a wonderful chicken and fluffy dumpling recipe from scratch,ty Hope all is well, i had decided to take a break, But i thought id come back and see how all is here?? TY so much!!

@Britbrit13

Hi Brit, thanks for suggesting this idea, I was looking for something different to make.

Glad to see you back!

Honored Contributor

yum! chicken and dumplings is my fav comfort food but I've never made it myself.

ecbg: how about a recipe for the biscuits you mentioned? The chicken and gravy part sounds reasonably simple to do...

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

yum! chicken and dumplings is my fav comfort food but I've never made it myself.

ecbg: how about a recipe for the biscuits you mentioned? The chicken and gravy part sounds reasonably simple to do...

@Andreatoo*****Usually, the standard biscuit recipe is on the back of the bag.  The advantage here is you don't knead, roll and cut out the actual biscuits!

I only buy White Lily because it is the softest flour which makes soft bread.

Baking Powder Biscuits

2 C sifted plain, all purpose flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

(Sift these ingredients together to mix)

Add to bowl:1/4 C chilled shortening  (it makes bread flakier, lighter)

Cut shortening into flour with a pastry blender or take two table knives and cross cut until the shortening resembles cornmeal.

Make a well in the center and pour in :

2/3 to 3/4 C milk or buttermilk.

For Garlic Cheese Biscuits (Drop Biscuits)

Add 1 cup shredded cheddar before milk

Drop by spoonfulls on greased bakesheet

Bake 500 degrees 12-15 minutes or until brown

Brush hot biscuits with

1/4 c melted butter and 1/4 tsp garlic powder.

****All the biscuits can be made with self rising, but I find them to be salty.

Also, You can't make gravy with self rising because it will boil over quite easily.

Enjoy

Honored Contributor

@ECBG: Thank you very much!

Now I'm thinking of taking the basic starter portion of the recipe, prior to the addition of the flour, and setting aside half for matzo ball soup!

Now I'm hungry! lol

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@ECBG: Thank you very much!

Now I'm thinking of taking the basic starter portion of the recipe, prior to the addition of the flour, and setting aside half for matzo ball soup!

Now I'm hungry! lol

@Andreatoo****I'm sure you could.  I've never made that particular item and neither did my students.

Respected Contributor

Chicken and dumplings is a two day recipe. Cook your chicken (prefer a hen because of the increased fat on the older bird) in a crock pot with herbs. Pull the chicken out and cool to touch for pulling off the bone separating the meat from all that is not meat. I don't like skin, cartilage or anything else in my chick and dumplings. I chill the broth overnight to remove the fat on the top as it solidifies. The fat that is left is plenty but has added a richness to the whole broth. I bring that to a boil and make the dumplings from Bisquick because I like drop dumplings instead of rolled, but when I do rolled, I use flour, water, and egg. That is all. One egg and enough water to bring it together. You can easily add herbs to the dumplings. I like chives. I do put a touch of turmeric because it makes a nicely colored broth. I drop the dumplings by a 1/2 teaspoon or smaller. I like a bit size dumpling and not a Matzo ball sized dumpling. WHen they are almost done, I add the chicken that has been sitting at room temp to bring the temp up and not bring down the temp of the broth too much so that it takes longer to cook. Salt and pepper to taste and you are done!

You could use a rotisserie chicken, chicken broth, and Bisquick, but the richness isn't there, but the herbs are great in it. I do slow cook the chicken with carrots, onions, and celery. You just pull the veggies out, or leave them for a chicken and dumplings soup versus tradition style. I also like garden peas and dumplings. My aunt uses those small canned biscuits and cuts them in quarters or smaller for her biscuits. The flour from the biscuits thickens it wonderfully. It is a great side or meal in itself. I'm doing those for Easter and a family get-together this coming weekend.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

BritBrit,

Thanks for starting this thread!  And welcome back to the boards!  When I first saw this thread, I thought it was someone who was bumping up old posts-took awhile for me to realize you had started a new thread and was back!  Hope all is well with you and that you will join more often.  Woman Very Happy