Respected Contributor

This recipe showed up on my Facebook feed so I made it tonight.  It's a definite keeper because it's less fussy to make than a regular pot pie, easier to serve, and just plain delicious.  It might look involved but if you have everything lined up and ready, it goes fast. I halved the recipe for the two of us with some leftover, definitely it's enough for three.  The most trouble was chopping the vegetables, once that was done the rest was a breeze. I also buy the packaged cooked rotisserie chicken breast meat at Costco and keep it in smaller packages in the freezer.

From tasty online
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Ingredients for 6 servings

1 onion, diced
4 stalks celery, diced
6 carrots, diced
1 clove garlic
3 tablespoons butter
¼ cup flour
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups half & half
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen peas
1 whole rotisserie chicken

Heat oil in large pot on medium high heat.

Bring in onion, celery, carrots, and garlic and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.

Stir in butter and melt.

Add in flour and stir until flour butter mixture coats vegetables and browns lightly.

Add the chicken stock and half and half and stir to combine.

Season with pepper, thyme, and nutmeg and allow to come to a boil.

Reduce the heat (this is when I added the half and half, I would not boil it) to medium-low and add in corn, peas, and chicken and fully incorporate.  Heat through.

Season with salt.

*Optional - garnish with cookie sized pieces of pie crust. 

* I made a small slab of pie crust to break up in pieces for the top of the soup.  I made it while the vegetables sauteed, then baked it while I put the soup together.  There's a video at the Tasty website, next to the written recipe.

Esteemed Contributor

Yummy 😋 Thanks for sharing. 

Respected Contributor

@Free2be   Thank you posting this.  The inclusion of nutmeg is intriguing.  Will definitely be trying this recipe.

Honored Contributor
Very tempting.
Respected Contributor

@Free2be 

That looks so good but my favorite part of chicken pot pie is the pie crust.  Top and bottom.   I guess I could make this filling and use the pie crusts.  

Valued Contributor

I made this chicken meat from a boiled chicken in it's own broth, so I used that and also omitted the bag of frozen corn and celery completely.

I used 1 bag frozen peas and carrots and it was really filling and quite delicious.

Trusted Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Free2be 

That looks so good but my favorite part of chicken pot pie is the pie crust.  Top and bottom.   I guess I could make this filling and use the pie crusts.  

@Bridgegal 

I found a similar recipe at tablespoon.com to the one free2be posted here.  I also love a pot pie with a top and bottom crust.  This pot pie recipe I found, done in a slow cooker, offered pie crust crackers which I think will have more flavor than baked cookie sized pieces of pie crust.  These may appeal to you as well:

Pie Crust Crackers

TBS butter, melted

1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves

1/4 tsp salt

box Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box

Optional:  TBS Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 450°F. In small bowl, mix melted butter, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon salt until well blended.  Unroll pie crusts on 2 large ungreased cookie sheets; brush with seasoned butter.  If you like your pie crust crackers cheesy, sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of each crust after brushing with butter.

With pizza cutter or knife, cut pie crust into 4x1-inch strips. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve with pot pie.