Super Contributor

Re: Chicken Pot Pie Soup from Ina Garten's new Modern Comfort Foods cookbook

@4kitties wrote:

@roster   I make homemade chicken stock every time I roast a chicken or buy a rotisserie chicken from Costco.  I take off all the meat and retain the chicken frame to make it.  I get about 5 or 6 cups from one chicken.  I then freeze it, so I usually have a supply on hand.  It is really not hard to have that much homemade stock on hand.  If I need a bit more than I have I supplement with store bought.  

Homemade is best but store bought can work too!

I make homemade vegetable stock. Prefer it to having to deal with a greasy old chicken carcuss. Don't even eat chicken. Have made chicken broth in past, but toooo much for me to deal with anymore. Vegetable stock is easy and very tasty once you find a good recipe. That's the trick.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1   Thank you for posting this recipe, this was the one that piqued my interest.  After reading all the ingredients, I will make a soup like this but some ingredients will not be in mine for fresh herbs, cream sherry, fennel, fresh Parmesan with rind and Wondra flour are not staples in my pantry.  I will play with the ingredients, make some substitutions and still have a Chicken Pot Pie Soup. Glad I did not buy her book since many of both Ina Garten and Martha Stewarts recipes are more complicated than I choose to use my time preparing not knowing the end result.  Some of my own recipes are complicated with lots of ingredients, but these are tried and true over the years.  At this point of my life having to watch certain ingredients in what I can and cannot consume, experimenting for me is only reserved for breads and baking.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScarletDove I

I feel exactly like you do-------- use no ingredients that aren't regularly in my pantry or additions that  probably don't add all that much to the recipe anyway.

We can always find work-arounds if we like the general idea behind any recipe.

I kinda figured that if I posted those two recipes from the new cookbook, some folks would think twice about buying it.  I know the title sounds  like the food is good and easy.......contents of the recipes maybe not.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@ScarletDove I

I feel exactly like you do-------- use no ingredients that aren't regularly in my pantry and additions that  probably don't add all that much to the recipe anyway.

We can always find work-arounds if we like the general idea behind any recipe.

@novamc1   Precisely and I do like a good Chicken Soup recipe...this one is good but will adjust ingredients more workable for my style!  I see Ina's recipe as something to use for a dinner party, not regular everyday use.  She has some great basic recipes I use but the "party" style recipes are not for my kind of life.....

Respected Contributor

@roster wrote:

@4kitties wrote:

@roster   I make homemade chicken stock every time I roast a chicken or buy a rotisserie chicken from Costco.  I take off all the meat and retain the chicken frame to make it.  I get about 5 or 6 cups from one chicken.  I then freeze it, so I usually have a supply on hand.  It is really not hard to have that much homemade stock on hand.  If I need a bit more than I have I supplement with store bought.  

Homemade is best but store bought can work too!

I make homemade vegetable stock. Prefer it to having to deal with a greasy old chicken carcuss. Don't even eat chicken. Have made chicken broth in past, but toooo much for me to deal with anymore. Vegetable stock is easy and very tasty once you find a good recipe. That's the trick.

@roster   I also prefer vegetable stock but purchase, although not liking even the low sodium brands available.  I would make my own if I had a good recipe, and how do you find a good one?  Would you share your vegetable stock recipe or let us know where to find a great one.  Thanks....

Super Contributor

Trial & error. marthastewart.com recipes; Google; library books;magazines.

Not at a place where I can access my recipes now. It was mostly trying all different kinds of vegetable stock recipes.

Esteemed Contributor

For those who have not put Wondra flour in your pantry, I would humbly like to suggest you try it sometime. It's not an expensive ingredient & it can help you make delicious, lump free gravies, soups and sauces. It's an excellent thickening product. I've been using it for probably 35 years w/ great success. It's really just very finely milled flour.

As for soups, I'm w/ the laides who like to keep it simple. I do buy fresh herbs if I'm making a big ol' pot of soup for more than just me and my spouse. But if it's just the two of us, I typically go w/ whatever dried spices/herbs I have in the kitchen.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter   Love the recipes you share!l!!  The simplicity of preparing this cheeseburger soup makes it very appeaing. The only ingredient I have to run out to get is the Velveeta cheese-- I already have on hand  ground turkey and O'Brien potatoes which I'll sub for your listed choices.

I might make Ina's puff pastry croutons to go with my cheeseburger soup.  After all, what's a cheeseburger without the bun?!!!🍔☺

Honored Contributor

Love Ina--her tartar suace recipe is the best--but holy cow----way too many ingredients for a soup---bet it is delicious but I don't do things with a hundred or more ingredients!!!  

Super Contributor

This soup sounds divine.  I usually make a soup once a week for easy leftovers.  This soup sound pretty rich, so I'll save for special.   I have made Ina's Chicken Pot Pie, and this recipe has alot of the same ingredients, and it very good.  It's rich, and takes some time but very good.

Thanks for posting!