Respected Contributor

Chicken Chowder and Biscuits for Dinner tonight

We've already reached our high temperature for the day, with snow / rain coming this afternoon.  It's "comfort food" day at the Gs'.

Cheddar Chicken Chowder
The original recipe was found in Cooking Light magazine.

2 bacon slices
Cooking spray
1 pound skinned and boned chicken breast -- cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup diced red bell pepper
2 garlic cloves -- minced
4 ½ cups fat-free chicken broth
1 3/4 cups diced peeled red potatoes
2 1/4 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups 2% low-fat milk
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese -- (3 ounces)
½ teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Cook bacon in a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan. Crumble; set aside.

Add chicken, onion, bell pepper, and garlic to bacon fat in pan; sauté 5 minutes.

Add broth and potatoes; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add corn; stir well.

Place flour in a bowl. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended; add to soup. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Stir in cheese, salt, and pepper. Top with crumbled bacon.

I've tried many biscuit recipes.  This is the best I've found and the one I keep going back to.

Cloud Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup shortening
1 beaten egg
2/3 cup milk (see note)

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening ‘til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg and milk; add to flour mixture all at once. Stir until well mixed.

Turn out on lightly floured surface; knead gently with heel of hand about 20 strokes. Roll dough to 3/4-inch thickness. Dip 2-inch biscuit-cutter in flour; cut straight down through dough – no twisting!  Place on un-greased baking sheet (3/4 inch apart for crusty biscuits, closer together for soft sides). If desired, chill 1-3 hours.

Preheat oven to 450º. Bake 10-14 minutes or until golden brown. Makes about 2 dozen.

Note: For drop biscuits, increase milk to 3/4 cup. Omit kneading. Drop dough from tablespoon onto baking sheet. Bake as above.

Mrs. G's note:  I use buttermilk and the rolled out / biscuit-cutter method.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Contributor

Re: Chicken Chowder and Biscuits for Dinner tonight

thank you so much for the recipes! That sounds so good!!!

Honored Contributor

IamMrsG wrote:

We've already reached our high temperature for the day, with snow / rain coming this afternoon.  It's "comfort food" day at the Gs'.

Cheddar Chicken Chowder
The original recipe was found in Cooking Light magazine.

2 bacon slices
Cooking spray
1 pound skinned and boned chicken breast -- cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup diced red bell pepper
2 garlic cloves -- minced
4 ½ cups fat-free chicken broth
1 3/4 cups diced peeled red potatoes
2 1/4 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups 2% low-fat milk
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese -- (3 ounces)
½ teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Cook bacon in a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan. Crumble; set aside.

Add chicken, onion, bell pepper, and garlic to bacon fat in pan; sauté 5 minutes.

Add broth and potatoes; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add corn; stir well.

Place flour in a bowl. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended; add to soup. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Stir in cheese, salt, and pepper. Top with crumbled bacon.

I've tried many biscuit recipes.  This is the best I've found and the one I keep going back to.

Cloud Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup shortening
1 beaten egg
2/3 cup milk (see note)

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening ‘til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg and milk; add to flour mixture all at once. Stir until well mixed.

Turn out on lightly floured surface; knead gently with heel of hand about 20 strokes. Roll dough to 3/4-inch thickness. Dip 2-inch biscuit-cutter in flour; cut straight down through dough – no twisting!  Place on un-greased baking sheet (3/4 inch apart for crusty biscuits, closer together for soft sides). If desired, chill 1-3 hours.

Preheat oven to 450º. Bake 10-14 minutes or until golden brown. Makes about 2 dozen.

Note: For drop biscuits, increase milk to 3/4 cup. Omit kneading. Drop dough from tablespoon onto baking sheet. Bake as above.

Mrs. G's note:  I use buttermilk and the rolled out / biscuit-cutter method.

@IamMrsG,Thanks for a wonderful looking recipe!  I do biscuits like yours and add a teaspoon of sugar.  Oh!  My!!!

Honored Contributor

Sounds delicious.  All we need is the time and location and we'll all be over.  Mr G is eating well again. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kachina624 wrote, in part:  ". . .All we need is the time and location and we'll all be over. . ." 

@Kachina624, you remind me of the old song, Y'all come.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.

Let's Stay in Touch

* *You're signing up to receive QVC promotional email.
Connect with Us

The scoop on everything Q, from helpful tips to interesting tidbits, questions, answers, and more.

QVC is not responsible for the availability, content, security, policies, or practices of the above referenced third-party linked sites, nor liable for statements, claims, opinions, or representations contained therein. QVC's Privacy Statement does not apply to these third-party web sites.

© 1995–2016 QVC, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademark Notice

Desktop View Mobile View