Respected Contributor

Cherry Almond Ricotta Drop Scones

I was hungry, the mood struck and I had everything on hand.  I just ate two of these Woman Embarassed

Cherry Almond Ricotta Drop Scones

½ cup dried tart cherries
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 cup ricotta cheese

1/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1 teaspoon vanilla extract*
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk, divided
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 cup whole-grain pastry flour **
3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour 
1 Tablespoon baking powder
½  teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 425°.

Combine cherries and juice in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute; let stand 5 minutes. Drain; discard liquid. Finely chop cherries.

Combine ricotta cheese, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, orange rind, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup of the ricotta mixture. Add 1/3 cup buttermilk and canola oil to remaining ricotta mixture, stirring until smooth.

Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, remaining 3 Tablespoons brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cherries and almonds; toss. Add buttermilk mixture; stir just until combined.

***Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls 3 inches apart onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Combine egg and remaining 1 Tablespoon buttermilk, stirring with a whisk Gently brush top and sides of dough with egg mixture. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan; cool slightly on a wire rack.

Beat the reserved ricotta mixture at medium speed 3 minutes or until fluffy.

Serve with warm scones.

Mrs. G's notes: *I used almond extract.  

**To substitute for whole-grain pastry flour, I used a total of 1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour and 5/8 cup cake flour in the recipe. 

***Although the dough was wet/sticky, I formed this into a round and cut it into 8 (sloppy) wedges.  Baking time was adjusted to 20 minutes.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: Cherry Almond Ricotta Drop Scones

Those scones sound wonderful, I'm copying that recipe.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Re: Cherry Almond Ricotta Drop Scones

[ Edited ]

Yum!  My all time favorite cookie...scones!  

p.s...(biscotti is also a big favorite..Smiley Wink

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!