Honored Contributor

Re: Cheese ball and deviled egg recipes, please.

@sabatini

Thanks for reminding me. I think my recipe calls for dry mustard, but I'm not sure.. in any case, it does include mustard.

@Tigriss

Chives! That's what I meant when I said scallions earlier on.  Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Cheese Ball

2 8oz cream cheese softened

1 package dry spinach mix

green onions finely chopped

chopped black olives

Mix and roll in ball. Then I roll in grated cheese. I like the mexican cheese.

Honored Contributor

I always thought deviled eggs were called that because they had deviled ham in them.  My grandmother made them with it, my mother made them with it and I make them with it.  Just yolks mixed with mayo, a little Dijon mustard, a spoonful of deviled ham.

Here is a cheese ball that is a little different.  I don't know where I got the recipe - could have been here. It has been well received.  

CHUTNEY CHEESE BALL

1 pound cream cheese (softened)
2 T sour cream
1/2 cup currants
1/2 cup walnuts (toasted and chopped)
1/2 cup scallions (thinly sliced)
1/2 t curry powder (or to taste)
1/2 t salt
1/2 jar mango chutney (about 4 oz)
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut flakes

Mix cream cheese and sour cream.  Add currants, walnuts, scallions, curry powder and salt, stir to combine.  Place in fridge for at least 30 minutes.  

On a clean surface lay out a sheet of plastic wrap.  Use the plastic wrap to help form into a ball (can be refrigerated at this point).  Transfer cheese ball to a  platter.  Pour chutney over the cheese ball to cover.  Sprinkle the coconut on cheese ball to cover.  

Honored Contributor

Oh, wow ...   I was at the deli yesterday and saw a plate of deviled eggs and wondered ... does anyone still eat deviled eggs?    

After they sit around for an hour or two at a picnic, they are an invitation to food poisoning!

How about something besides the same old, same old .... ?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

Some things are "same old" because they're classic and everyone gobbles them up.  I won't be serving them at a picnic, but rather here in my climate controlled home.  It has been my experience that everyone loves them.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

This is a cheese ball recipe I found (recipecriticdotcom) that I will be taking to a luncheon planning meeting Thursday after next:

Jalapeño Bacon Cheese Ball

A delicious cheeseball packed with bacon and jalapeños. The cream cheese cools down the jalapeño combining it all into one amazing cheese ball!

Serves: 12       

INGREDIENTS

• 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
  • 3 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped, divided
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 8 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped, divided
  • ¼ cup green onions, chopped
  • 1 tsp seasoning salt
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • ¼ tsp cumin
  • ½ cup pecans, coarsely chopped

INSTRUCTIONS

1. In a medium sized bowl, stir together cream cheese, half of the jalapeños, shredded cheddar cheese, half of the bacon, green onions, seasoning salt, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and cumin until fully incorporated.
  1. On a large plate combine other half of the bacon, jalapeños, and pecans. Shape the cream cheese mixture into a ball and roll it onto the plate to coat well.
  1. Cover with seran wrap and chill for an hour before serving. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Tinkrbl44

Some things are "same old" because they're classic and everyone gobbles them up.  I won't be serving them at a picnic, but rather here in my climate controlled home.  It has been my experience that everyone loves them.

@house_cat

I agree.  Deviled eggs always seem to be the first thing to disappear.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

This is the cheese ball we served at many holiday programs and faculty meetings.  Everyone loved it.

We mixed it in a Kitchenaid mixer.  It's one of the best I've had.

Chedder Cheese Ball

All cheese is blocks of approx. 10 oz.

1 medium block  of cheddar cheese 

1 sharp block of cheddar cheese

1 extra sharp block of cheddar cheese

1/2 to 3/4 cup mayo

2-3 T. worcheschire sauce 

2 Tbsp. garlic powder

1C  Coarsely chopped  pecans to roll in (or roll in paprika).

Grate cheese, add all other ingredients mix or stir well.

Refrigerate about 4 hrs.

Roll in paprika or pecans and serve on asst crackers.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat   I posted this once before, but it may have been before the format change.  I finally found a way to make Deviled Eggs that I like, but they won't suit everyone.  I like mine very tangy.

Rustic Deviled Eggs

Hardcook 14 eggs -- the amount given fills 24 halves generously (plus 4 halves less generously for personal munching or “cook’s treat”).

Garnish:  Alternate topping one half with small dill sprig and next with piece of celery leaf.  Other options:  sprinkle with paprika (don’t sprinkle over the dish you’ll serve from if you’re as messy as I am).  Or alternate topping halves with slices of black and green olive.

“Rustic” means pile the filling in with the end of a fork and push it together making decorative “rustic” peaks. (As opposed to making beautifully swirled eggs by piping the filling in.)

Rustic Deviled Eggs Sauce -- to Stuff 14 Eggs

(This is what you will mix with the 14 yolks.  )

1 TB yellow mustard

2 TB mayonnaise

2 TB Robert Rothschild Farm Onion Blossom Horseradish Dip (optional)

2 TB sweet pickle relish

2 TB dill pickle relish

2 TB chopped purple onion

2 TB chopped Vidalia onion (sweet onion)

2 TB red wine vinegar (or use 1 TB red wine and 1 TB apple cider)

(Start with 1 TB total and taste -- add more if you like it tangier)

Dash salt

Pinch sugar

Grind or so of black pepper

Shake of Crystal brand Hot Sauce

2 TB finely diced celery (or more to taste) -- add last just because it's easier to stir that way

Mix sauce with the egg yolks and stir until creamy, then stir in celery. (Note:  you can substitute  a dash of celery salt if you have a deviled egg craving and no fresh celery on hand.  But you’ll miss the fresh celery crunch.)

Trusted Contributor

The lady who gave me this recipe said she had sort of combined two recipes to create this -- it is probably the best cheese ball I've ever eaten.

Cheddar Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball

16 ounces (4 cups) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 (3 oz.) pkg. Cream cheese, softened
1 cup cooked and chopped bacon

1/8 cup DRY Ranch Dressing mix ( the kind with buttermilk powder)
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup finely chopped regular onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 cup strawberry preserves   (See Note below)

In medium bowl combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup bacon, ranch mix, and green onions. Mix well and form into a ball. Roll ball in pecans and bacon mixture and cover loosely with wax paper and refrigerate 2-3 hrs.

Take out and place on platter, and using wax paper to protect your hands, carefully ball into a ring. If you prefer to form into ring before coving in nuts and bacon you can do as well; it is just easier for uniformity to roll in mixture ahead of time and fill in any gaps needed after forming into a ring.

If softened after forming ring, refrigerate again for an hour and then scoop preserves in the middle of the ring and serve with crackers.

Note: The first time I tasted this cheese ball, the lady had made it into a ball (instead of a ring) and wrapped it in a bacon weave.  It was the first time I’d ever seen such a thing, and it made an impressive addition to the appetizer table.