Respected Contributor

Charred Eggplant & Tomatoes on Polenta

This is neither a new nor particularly unique recipe, but is worthy of sharing as the supply of good Summer tomatoes is still strong.  I made it for my dinner the other night and enjoyed every bite.

Charred Eggplant & Tomatoes on Polenta

Serves 4:  3/4 cup polenta & 2 cups vegetables each
Total Time: 45 min

4 cups water
1 cup cornmeal
1 Tablespoon butter
½ teaspoon salt, divided
1 pound plum tomatoes, chopped
4 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
1 clove garlic, grated
½ teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 ½ pounds eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
½ cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup crumbled ricotta or Feta cheese

Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat.  Slowly whisk in cornmeal and reduce heat to maintain a simmer.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and the cornmeal is tender, about 35 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in butter and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium-high.

Toss tomatoes with 3 Tablespoons oil, oregano, garlic, pepper, crushed red pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.

Brush eggplant with the remaining 1 Tablespoon oil.  Grill, turning once, until tender and charred in spots, about 4 minutes per side.  Let cool for 10 minutes.  Chop into bite-size pieces and add to the tomatoes along wih basil.

Serve the tomato mixture on top of the polenta.  Sprinkle with cheese.
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Re: Charred Eggplant & Tomatoes on Polenta

sounds divine. sadly, i'm probably the only one in my family who would enjoy it. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Charred Eggplant & Tomatoes on Polenta

I love eggplant and never know what I could make with it. Thanks, this sounds like a nice summer meal.