Honored Contributor

Celery $4.99 / lb. & Chop Suey Recipe

[ Edited ]

I was floored when I saw this price of celery at the grocery store today.  That is awfully high for celery.  I am making chop suey so I needed the celery.  Here is my recipe.

Use 1 lb. to 1-1/4 lb. sirloin or round steak cut into small pieces remove all fat.

1 small to medium onion sliced or chopped (white or yellow onion)

celery 2 to 3 stalks chopped

1 very large can Chinese Vegetables

1 small can sliced water chestnuts

One small bottle sliced or button mushrooms  

Soy Sauce to taste usually 2 maybe 3 T  (you can also use low sodium soy sauce)                                   salt & pepper to taste

Bead Molasses 1 to 2 T                                      Get a large pot and pour in a little veg. oil.  Then add cut up meat, onion and celery; salt & pepper.  Cook until meat is brown.  Then add water about 4 cups and then add soy sauce and bead molasses and a little salt and pepper.  Do taste so it is not too salty because you are using the soy sauce.  Cook uncovered for about 1 hour until meat is tender. Then drain all vegs. and add.  Heat through.  I serve with the crispy chow mein noodles or serve with rice. You can thicken the sauce with either flour & water or corn startch & water.   It is a fairly healthy dish with veggies and lean meat.  Enjoy.   I revised the recipe and got more specific so I hope that helps.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Celery $4.99 / lb. & Chop Suey Recipe

@Katcat1   I buy organic celery at Costco for less....it is a staple.  Do you have access to a Costco?  Maybe different stores carry different produce.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds delicious - but lucky for me I have a Chinese Restaurant nearby that delivers.  Some nights everything is frozen - have no idea what to make - ahh  full menu to select from.  It's a treat.

Respected Contributor

What is bead molasses? Is there something in it that makes it different from plain old molasses?

TIA

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1   How much meat?  How many stalks of celery?

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

I posted on here a few weeks ago that I was having a hard time finding celery at the grocery store. No one else seemed to be having any trouble finding it. The produce manager said it was due to problems at the border. Last week when I went in, no celery on the shelf. I asked and he said he would go cut some for me...and he brought out a whole tray of bunches of celery. $2.99 

supply and demand? 

Honored Contributor

Our Costco sells celery but it is in packages of four....can’t use that much while it is fresh. I do take whatever celery I can’t finish using while fresh and freeze it. I add it to my bag of stir fry veggies or out it in soup.
Esteemed Contributor

For goodness sakes, where do you shop?

Celery is $1.79 each, not just a pound.

Organic is $2.99 each.

A two pack of celery hearts is $3.89 ($1.94 each).

This is my closest place to shop.

Celery will be even less is I go a bit further.

Nice recipie tho, @Katcat1  

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush  Honestly, I don't really know but it is sold in the Asian section and it gives color to your stock and possibly a little flavor.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Havarti  One pound or 1-1/4 lb. cut up into edible pieces.  Celery 2 to 3 stalks chopped up and the onion you can chop it, slice it however you like.  I cut the onion in half and slice and then cut the slice in half.  This would be for 1 to 2 people and have leftovers for a night or two.  It depends on your serving size.

kindness is strength