Respected Contributor

Cavatelli with Sweet Italian Sausage and Broccoli Rabe

I shared this recipe a few years ago.  We just had it again the other night, with leftovers for lunch today.  It was and is positively delicious.

Cavatelli with Sweet Italian Sausage and Broccoli Rabe
Serves 4 to 6

1 medium size onion cut into small dice
3 cloves fresh garlic thinly sliced
4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
12 ounces coarsely ground sweet fennel sausage with no casing. If there is casing, remove and break up. If there is no fennel in sausage, add at least 1 generous teaspoon.
1 bunch broccoli rabe, tender tops and tender stems only cut into 3 to 4-inch pieces, do not use thick heavy stems
½ cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon hot chili pepper flakes
1/4 cup golden raisins – do not omit, could add more
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1 pound fresh cavatelli pasta
6 Tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan

Bring large pot of water to a boil, generously add salt* then add pasta. Cook fresh or frozen cavatelli according to package directions.

Place extra virgin olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 10 minutes but do not brown. During the last 5 minutes, add the garlic, sauté, but do not allow to brown. Remove onion and garlic from pan, set aside.

In same pan, add ground sausage and sauté for 10 to 15 minutes or until sausage has rendered and is lightly brown.

Add broccoli rabe to the sausage and sauté again until broccoli rabe is soft but still green and firm.  Add chicken broth and raisins and simmer until broccoli rabe is just tender, about 3 minutes. Add butter, stirring until incorporated.

Next, add onion, garlic and chili pepper flakes and simmer sauce for 5 minutes longer.

Drain pasta and toss with sauce.

As you’re tossing cavatelli with broccoli rabe and sausage, add Parmesan until completely mixed. Serve immediately.

Mrs. G's notes:   *Adding salt to the cooking water is your only chance to add flavor to pasta.  The water should, "taste like the sea."

We like it, so I always add extra fennel. 

We serve with Riesling.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Re: Cavatelli with Sweet Italian Sausage and Broccoli Rabe

Sounds so good-thanks!

Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG  I've made cavatelli with sausage and broccoli rabe many times but never added golden raisins.  I'm definitely going to make your recipe.   (p.s.... I also like the addition of a little extra fennel.)

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

Your recipe sounds delicious, depending on when I go grocery shopping I'd like to try it soon!  Thank you for your recipe!

Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella  I would be interested in hearing your opinion if you try the raisins.  To me, they add a subtle sweetness, texture and moisture that I would definitely miss.  BTW, I increase the quantity by about 50%--that's how much I like their contribution to the dish. 

Respected Contributor

sounds wonderful.

Trusted Contributor

I prepared this recipe today but instead of the cavatelli, I used the cheese tortelini and it came out great.  Thank you for the recipe.  I like the way the broccoli had such a nice flavor after cooking with the sausage.  My husband really liked the flavor of the broth.  It was a nice change.

Respected Contributor

Thank you, @miata1, for taking the time to come back and let us know.  I appreciate your thoughtfulness and am glad to hear it was a success for you.  BTW, cheese tortellini was a great substitute for the cavatelli. 

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for your comments.  I enjoy whipping up new recipes when I have the time to devote to it.  I really enjoy cooking in the kitchen, especially love baking.

Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG  I finally got around to making the recipe using the addition of raisins and LOVED it!   It does add that little extra something that makes it go from good to great!  Thanks for sharing.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!