Respected Contributor

Cavatelli with Sweet Italian Sausage and Broccoli Rabe

[ Edited ]

Here is a tried and true dish I can highly recommend.

Cavatelli with Sweet Italian Sausage and Broccoli Rabe

Serves 4 to 6

1 medium size onion cut into small dice

3 cloves fresh garlic thinly sliced

4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

12 ounces coarsely ground sweet fennel sausage with no casing. If there is casing, remove and break up with hands. If there is no fennel in sausage, add at least 1 generous teaspoon.

1 bunch broccoli rabe, tender tops and tender stems only cut into 3 to 4" pieces, do not use thick heavy stems

½ cup chicken broth

1 teaspoon hot chili pepper flakes

1/4 cup golden raisins – do not omit, could add more

1 Tablespoon unsalted butter

1 pound fresh cavatelli pasta

6 Tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan

Place extra virgin olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 10 minutes but do not brown. During the last 5 minutes, add the garlic, sauté, but do not allow to brown. Remove onion and garlic from pan, set aside.

In same pan, add ground sausage and sauté for 10 to 15 minutes or until sausage has rendered and is lightly brown.

Add broccoli rabe to the sausage and sauté again until broccoli rabe is soft but still green and firm. Add broth and raisins and simmer until broccoli rabe is just tender, about 3 minutes. Add butter, stirring until incorporated.

Next, add in onion, garlic and chili pepper flakes and simmer sauce for 5 minutes longer.

Bring large pot of water to a boil, add salt then add pasta. Cook fresh or frozen cavatelli according to directions, about 3 to 4 minutes. Strain pasta and toss with sauce.

As you’re tossing cavatelli with broccoli rabe and sausage, add Parmesan until completely mixed. Serve immediately.

Mrs. G's note: Serve with Riesling and a warm loaf of French bread.

Edited to improve spacing.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Super Contributor

Re: Cavatelli with Sweet Italian Sausage and Broccoli Rabe

YUM! I'm in, G! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

TYVM!!!!!!!!!!!

Valued Contributor

yum!!

Honored Contributor

I am so in with those yums too! Thanks Mrs. G for posting! I am especially in with that Riesling suggestion! Just bought a bottle!

I like that this recipe isn't a typical Italian red sauce recipe! I am getting tired of making spaghetti sauce all the time. Refreshing to see broth and olive oil! Thanks again!

Trusted Contributor

Sounds absolutely delicious except for raisons ---- is there nothing I can substitute for them.

Thanks, Jamma

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I want to mention one small detail in this recipe that I would edit. In fact, after submitting, I tried to go back and change it, but could not. An experienced cook would automatically know it, but, for those anyone who isn't, please make note to begin boiling water for the pasta as Step #1. It's late by the time you get to it in the directions.

Jamma, the golden raisins really do impart an important sweetness and texture to the overall result. If you really must substitute, maybe you can try dried cranberries. I don't guarantee the results, though. Could you stand halved or quartered white grapes?

Sabatini, Mtnbikegirl and RespectLife, y'all are very welcome. I promise you, this is delicious. "Try it, you'll like it!" Smile

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

On 1/21/2015 IamMrsG said:

I want to mention one small detail in this recipe that I would edit. In fact, after submitting, I tried to go back and change it, but could not. An experienced cook would automatically know it, but, for those anyone who isn't, please make note to begin boiling water for the pasta as Step #1. It's late by the time you get to it in the directions.

Jamma, the golden raisins really do impart an important sweetness and texture to the overall result. If you really must substitute, maybe you can try dried cranberries. I don't guarantee the results, though. Could you stand halved or quartered white grapes?

Sabatini, Mtnbikegirl and RespectLife, y'all are very welcome. I promise you, this is delicious. "Try it, you'll like it!" Smile

I'll give the raisons a try---thanks for getting back to me.

Jamma

Respected Contributor

I have been making this for years. It is a handed down family recipe and there are no raisins in it so for those of you who do not like raisins I would just eliminate them. Thanks IamMrsG for posting this recipe......it truly is yummy!

Regular Contributor

I'm going to try this tomorrow. It is very similar to a recipe that I make, but I steam the broccoli rabe first. Going to try your way! I also make my own oven-dried tomatoes that I am going to add to the dish. They are delicious and add a sweet spiciness.

If anyone hasn't had broccoli rabe before, give this a try! It is a bitter green, but not anything like the typical "greens" of the South (I live in FL), which I frankly dislike. I will check back with this forum and tell you how it turned out!

Trusted Contributor

Oh how I wish that I could get broccoli rabe, but I have yet to see it in any store around here, and have not had it in the last 8 years......{#emotions_dlg.angry}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......