Respected Contributor

Re: Cauliflower

[ Edited ]

Shreded cabbage you buy to make coleslaw is also a good stretcher for Salads.

I also rinse black beans, sprinkle with some spices like Mrs Dash garlic or onion & spices and put in container in refrig.  I use about 1/4 cup on top of my salads.  

Frozen green peas another good salad topper with spices.

p.s. lettuce has zero nutritional value.  look it up.  Spinach is loaded with vitamins and lasts and if I think I can't eat it fast enough, I throw in freezer and then put in soups.

Honored Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza wrote:

Just a tip on keeping lettuce fresher longer.  I read recently that placing a piece of paper towel on top of the lettuce in the fridge will help it keep fresh.  I was doubtful, but tried it and it does seem to help it last a few days longer.  

I love red peppers (and as a bonus, they have even more vitamin C than oranges) and put them, along with feta cheese, green and black olives, tomatoes and onions in my salad.   Very good with garlic infused olive oil I recently discovered.

@Tessa Mendoza It does work!  I can keep lettuce over a week.  I do take out the obvious ribs in iceburg.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 @Bhvbum @kittyloo @Tessa Mendoza @Spacrazy and Ladies

Cauliflower Curry

1 lg cauliflower 

2 Tbsp water

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 C shredded cheddar cheese

1/3 C mayonnaise 

1 tsp curry powder 

2 tsp. Melted butter

1/4 C bread crumbs 

Cut up flowerettes, add 2 Tbsp water, cover, microwave 7 minutes on high.

Drain off water.

Mix soup, cheese, mayo. and curry.

Fold In cauliflower.

Melt butter and work im bread crumbs.

Sprinkle over cauliflower. 

Microwave 3 minutes. 

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I love salad, but I can't seem to keep lettuce between grocery visits. I did get a head of cauliflower and I like it raw. I use it to stretch out the lettuce, it adds a nice crunch.  I have also found that iceberg lettuce lasts longer than my usual butter lettuce in a bag. Green peppers work too.  What are you putting in your salad these days. 🥗🥬🍅🥒🥕

apples, oranges, cheese, also like to crunch up saltine crackers, if using mayonaise style dressing, but put on last minutes. Also throw in black olives once in awhile and pickles beet slices, are very good.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Tessa Mendoza wrote:

Just a tip on keeping lettuce fresher longer.  I read recently that placing a piece of paper towel on top of the lettuce in the fridge will help it keep fresh.  I was doubtful, but tried it and it does seem to help it last a few days longer.  

I love red peppers (and as a bonus, they have even more vitamin C than oranges) and put them, along with feta cheese, green and black olives, tomatoes and onions in my salad.   Very good with garlic infused olive oil I recently discovered.

@Tessa Mendoza It does work!  I can keep lettuce over a week.  I do take out the obvious ribs in iceburg.

---------------

I put my lettuce in a larger L/L!! I put a paper towel on the bottom/underneath and on top of lettuce.  I keep the L/L  at the back of the fridge.  My lettuce has lasted over a month...so surprised!!  I don't eat lettuce every day, so in the past, have always had to throw my lettuce out after two weeks.

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

Shreded cabbage you buy to make coleslaw is also a good stretcher for Salads.

I also rinse black beans, sprinkle with some spices like Mrs Dash garlic or onion & spices and put in container in refrig.  I use about 1/4 cup on top of my salads.  

Frozen green peas another good salad topper with spices.

p.s. lettuce has zero nutritional value.  look it up.  Spinach is loaded with vitamins and lasts and if I think I can't eat it fast enough, I throw in freezer and then put in soups.

@Bhvbum Iceburg lettuce is still healthy for us to eat because it gives us a little roughage.  I also like the crunch.

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 apples, pears, orange slices, black or canolini beans, corn, green beans, beets, or any fresh vegetable that peaks your interest...I find arugula lasts longer than any kind of lettuce.

Honored Contributor

@tobes wrote:

@QVCkitty1 apples, pears, orange slices, black or canolini beans, corn, green beans, beets, or any fresh vegetable that peaks your interest...I find arugula lasts longer than any kind of lettuce.

@tobes  I was lucky today, I scored some lettuce, fresh spinach, and cucumbers. I also like chick peas in my salad.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Iceberg lettuce may not have nutritional value on it's own, but when a person adds a lot of fresh veggies, I think it overcomes that, plus I love the crunchiness of iceberg. I love cauliflower in salads along with any veggie I have in the fridge - yellow squash, zucchini, shredded carrots, peppers, radishes, cucumbers, olives, plus diced salami and cheese, etc. I sometimes also boil a handful of small pasta such as mini pene to make it a meal, especially in the summer with fresh veggies.

Edited: forgot to mention that I core the iceberg lettuce, rinse it (but don't dry it), wrap in a paper towel or two, and then store in a gallon plastic bag. It stays fresh and crunchy for over a week.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I get a heavy, dense head of iceberg lettuce, then remove the outer leaves. After quartering it, I rinse each quarter wedge thoroughly, then place in a paper towel-lined container, then top with another paper towel. I replace the lid, then refrigerate, occasionally draining the excess water by simply turning it upside down over the sink.

We use a wedge or two to make salads (I like to add red bell pepper, chick peas, black olives, broccoli florets...you name it).

It's an easy and quick way to always have lettuce ready for salads or to grab a few leaves for sandwiches. 

What worries you masters you.