Honored Contributor

Cauliflower "cake" posted on Smitten Kitchen

cauliflower cake

Go to smittenkitchen dot com if this makes your mouth water.  It's like a big omelet and originally from the famous Ottolenghi, and adapted, as she does with most of her recipes.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Cauliflower "cake" posted on Smitten Kitchen

Deb at Smitten Kitchen has hundreds of wonderful recipes on her website. Her cookbooks are great too.

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach  That cake sounds exactly what I have been looking for when some friends come for lunch in a few days.   Have you tried it?

Thanks for posting this.

Honored Contributor

I haven't tried it yet, @CLEM, but I'm in the mood for something different so maybe I will soon.

Let me know if you give it a try!

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach  Will do.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach  I am making it tomorrow for lunch when some friends come over.  Hope it is as good as it looks and as I imagine.

Honored Contributor

Fingers crossed and good thoughts coming your way, @CLEM  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach  Well, I made the cauliflower cake and it came out looking exactly the way it looks in the picture.   But it was very dense and heavy.  I made it exactly according to the recipe.  It's really easy to make

If I make it again, I will use only 1 cup of flour and use a whole tablespoon of turmeric.  I expected turmeric to have a stronger taste, but it is very mild.   I steamed the cauliflower florets for 3 minutes in the pressure cooker and it came out just perfect for this purpose.  I think I may reduce the oil to about 5 tablespoons.

I just ate the last piece for dinner.  It doesn't need to be hot.  Warm or at room temperature is just fine.

All in all it was pretty good and impressive.

Thanks for posting about this.

Honored Contributor

Hi @CLEM

Thanks for the update and also for the tips on how to make it even better.

I have a feeling your guests had a very good time with a hostess like you who makes sure they have something special.

Now I need to find an occasion of my own since it would be too much for me alone.  

Have a great evening!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach  Another tip:  I actually prepared everything the day before including sauteing (sp) the onions so I only needed to put everything together the next morning and by the time my friends came, the cake was done and the kitchen cleaned up.

I sent a picture of it to my cousin in Hamburg who went to cooking school a few decades ago, and she asked me what kind of sauce I would be serving with it.  She mentioned that she would make something with it.  Will have to try to make something.  Or I will send her the recipe so she can figure it out and let me know.