Contributor

I made this salad on Saturday and we finished it today.  It was first posted by sue-p in 2011.  Here is a copy of her original post and below that is a copy of my revisions.  I had to cut down on the sodium for DH and me.  Years ago I always followed her recipe, but now I have to cut out a lot of the sodium.  Both versions are good for a change.  Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

My neighbor served this salad at a get-together last weekend. Very tasty and unususal so I asked for the recipe to share with all of you. I"m making it for Memorial Day family picnic.  sue-p
Claussen's Crunch Picnic Salad
1 (32 oz.) jar Kosher dill pickles, cut into 1/2" slices (use Claussen Kosher Dill Pickles, if your store has that brand. They are large pickles.)
1-(15 oz.) can garbanzo beans, drained
20 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small onion, chopped
1 (8 oz.) bottle Ranch dressing (or make from packet)
1 tsp. dill weed
1 head cauliflower, rinsed, trimmed, cut into bite-sized pieces

Toss pickle slices, beans, tomato halves, cauliflower bites, and onions.
Mix dressing and dill weed in small bowl, then gently stir into the pickle mixture.
Refrigerate until chilled.
Posted by sue-p 5/24/11

My changes:

Small head of cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces  (about 10 cups worth)

1 - (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained

1 Roma (Plum) tomato, quartered lengthwise, then sliced 1/4" thick

2-3 Tbsp diced red onion

3 baby dill pickles, cut lengthwise, then sliced 1/8" thick.  (I used a different brand.)

1-2 Tbsp fresh dill weed, minced (We are lucky to have some in our garden right now.)

1/4 cup Ranch dressing.  (I used Hidden Valley Ranch Buttermilk in a bottle).

Mix everything together and chill.  

The fresh dill made it very tasty and there was more than enough dressing to cover the entire salad.  The salad filled a 3 quart bowl.  

Gr8Auntie

Esteemed Contributor

Looking at the original recipe from your neighbor, I think it should be called a Dill Pickle salad! Although I have a similar smaller recipe and it's really good, I like your revisions and will make it for the two of us - we both love dill pickles. Thanks for sharing.

Valued Contributor

Sounds yummy!

Respected Contributor

@Gr8Auntie Both versions sound good.  I love dill and dill pickles.

Thank you for posting.

aroc3435