Regular Contributor

Re: Casserole's Always A Crowd Pleaser...

Thank you for this topic.  I surely have many favs from this site, but here is one I use often.  Many growing boys into young men give this a thumbs up.  Been making it since it was posted here.  Usually add more meats, but as-is, it is delicious. Thanks hula girl for originally posting it.

Pepperoni Pizza Casserole
‎04-29-2013 11:56 PM

Pepperoni Pizza Casserole
[image]

Servings: makes 4-6 servings
Ingredients
12 ounces pasta
1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
3 cups (24 ounces) pizza sauce or marinara sauce
1/2 cup sliced black olives
4 ounces pepperoni
8 ounces ricotta
2 cups mozzarella, shredded
1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
1/2 teaspoon oregano (optional)
Cook the pasta as directed on package but stop 3 minutes early, drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, cook the sausage in a large saucepan over medium heat, about 10 minutes.

Mix in the sauce with the sausage and 3/4's of the olives and pepperoni and set aside.

Mix the ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan and set aside.

Place half of the pasta in the bottom of a large baking dish, top with half of the sauce, followed by half of the cheese mixture and repeat with another layer of each, finally topping with the remaining olives, pepperoni and oregano.

Bake in a preheated 350F oven covered in foil until bubbling at the sides, about 20-30 minutes, remove the foil and bake until the cheese has melted and started to turn golden brown, about 10 minutes.

Tip: Change things up by using your favourite pizza toppings.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'll probably try the chicken recipe but I'll half it and freeze part of that since there's just me.  It can easily be halved.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Baked French Toast Casserole

This is a Yummy "French Toast Casserole" to serve up for "Weekend Guests" or "Christmas Morning".  Enjoy!

Prep time: 15 minutes 

cook time: 1 hour

Servings:  12

Ingredients:  For The French Toast

• 1 loaf Crusty Sourdough Or French Bread
  • 8 whole Eggs
  • 2 cups 2% Milk
  • 1/2 cup Whipping (heavy) Cream
  • 3/4 cups Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Pure Vanilla Extract  

Ingredients:  Topping For French Toast

.   1/2 cup All-purpose Flour

• 1/2 cup Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 pinch Nutmeg (optional)
  • 1 stick Cold Butter, Cut Into Pieces
  • Fresh Fruit (Optional) serve on the side fresh strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries  

Directions:

Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with butter. Tear bread into chunks (or cut into cubes) and evenly distribute in the pan.

In a medium sized bowl mix together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla. Pour evenly over the bread. Cover tightly and store in the fridge for several hours or overnight.

In a separate bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add nutmeg if desired. Add butter pieces and cut them into the dry mixture until mixture resembles fine pebbles. Store in a Ziploc in the fridge.

When you're ready to bake the casserole, preheat oven to 350 F. Remove casserole from the fridge and sprinkle crumb mixture over the top. 

Bake for 45 minutes for a softer, more bread pudding texture. Bake 1 hour or more for a firmer, less liquid texture.

Scoop out individual portions. Top with butter and drizzle with maple syrup.  

*** Fresh Fruit (Optional) serve on the side fresh strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries.  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

This is one my family requests all of the time.  Someone called it "Irish Lasagne"!

From Sunday Casseroles by Betty Rosbottom:

Corned Beef and Cabbage with Country Mustard Sauce

Country Mustard Sauce

2 Tbsp. unsalted butter

2 Tbsp. all purpose flour

2 c. half and half

1/4 c. coarse-grain Dijon mustard

2 tsp. caraway seeds, toasted and crushed

1/4 tsp. kosher salt

1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Freshly ground black pepper

2-1/2 c. Gruyere cheese, grated

Corned Beef and Cabbage

1 med. head green cabbage

4 Tbsp. unsalted butter

12 oz. small red-skin potatoes (1-1/2 to 2" diameter), scrubbed but not peeled

12 oz. corned beef, thinly sliced and cut into strips 3-5" long and 1/2" wide

Kosher salt

1/2 c. Gruyere cheese, grated

2 Tbsp. fresh dill, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously butter 9 X 13" baking dish.

2. Sauce: Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for about 1-1/2 to 2 min. Gradually whisk in the half and half, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and starts to simmer. Stir in mustard, caraway seeds, salt, cayenne, and several grinds of black pepper. Then gradually whisk in the Gruyere. Remove from heat and set aside.

3. Quarter and core the cabbage. Cut the quarters crosswise into 1/2" strips to equal 10 cups. (You may have some cabbage left over. Save for another use.)

4. Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add half the cabbage and cook, stirring, until it starts to wilt; then add the rest of the cabbage. Cook, stirring often until the cabbage has softened and is starting to brown lightly, about 10 minutes. Remove to large mixing bowl.

5. Bring a large saucepan of water to boil over high heat. Add potatoes and cook until tender when pierced, about 12-15 minutes. Drain. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1/4" slices. Add to the mixing bowl holding the cabbage, then add the corned beef strips. Add the sauce and toss to combine. Season with salt if needed.

6. Spread the cabbage mixture evenly in the baking dish. Sprinkle with the Gruyere. (The casserole can be prepared up to this point 4 hours ahead; cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature 30 min. to an hour before baking.)

7. Bake uncovered until the casserole is hot and the cheese has melted, about 20-25 min. Remove from oven and cool for 15 min. Sprinkle with the dill before serving.

Super Contributor

Pulled this from the Hellmans website lol. Sounds like a good use of holiday leftovers or an easy fix when you're in the mood for taste of Thanksgiving

Turkey Casserole

• Serves: 6
  • PREP TIME: 15 min
  • COOK TIME: 40 min

• Ingredients
  • 4 cups leftover prepared stuffing, divided
  • 4 cups coarsely chopped leftover cooked turkey (about 1 lb.)
  • 3/4 cup  Mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
  • 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375°. Spray 8-inch baking dish with no-stick cooking spray. Spoon in 2 cups stuffing, then top with turkey.
  2. Combine 1/4 cup Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise with cranberry sauce; evenly spread over turkey.
  3. Combine remaining 1/2 cup Mayonnaise, potatoes and cheese in large bowl. Evenly spread on turkey, then top with remaining 2 cups stuffing.
  4. Bake 40 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish, if desired, with dried cranberries.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Chicken Supreme

4 chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite-size pieces

3/4 cup diced celery

1/4 cup diced onion

1/2 cup cashews

1 can cream of mushroom soup

3/4 cup milk

Chow Mein noodles, optional for top

Combine all ingredients and place in 2 qt. baking dish.  Top with Chow Mein noodles, if desired.  Bake uncovered at 350 for 45-60 minutes until bubbly.  Serve over rice.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for this.  I don't know why some people - like my brother-in-law - sneer at "casseroles," like they're too good for such food.

Respected Contributor

@Bellabutterfly love this thread!!

Chicken Asparagus Casserole

1 can Cream of Asparagus Soup

1/2 cup Milk

1/4 tsp. Onion Powder

1/8 tsp. Pepper

1 1/2 cups Asparagus ~ cooked and cut up

1 1/2 cups Chicken ~ cooked and cubed

3 cups Corkscrew Pasta ~ cooked and drained

1 cup Cheddar or Swiss Cheese ~ shredded and divided (my family prefers Swiss)

Combine all ingredients (using 1/2 cup cheese) and put into 9 x 13 baking dish.

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

Remove from oven, stir and top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.  Put back in oven and bake for 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.  ENJOY!

Note ~ never know if I should cover casseroles so I usually cover for the first 15-20 minutes and then remove it for the remaining time.

Valued Contributor

This one is always a hit: Company Chicken

8 chicken breasts

8 slices bacon (I cook these slightly)

8 oz sour cream

8 oz dried beef

1 can Cream of Chicken OR Mushroom soup

Wrap one slice of bacon around each chicken breast and lay in slightly greased baking pan. Mix sour cream and cream soup together and pour over chicken breast.  Dice up dried beef and scatter over top of the chicken and soup mixture. Cover and bake at 350 for 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Serve the "gravy" over cooked rice.

I toss mushrooms in this casserole when I have them.

cookin

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

Thank you for this.  I don't know why some people - like my brother-in-law - sneer at "casseroles," like they're too good for such food.

This is the kind of person I want to just give an empty plate to, while everyone else eats. That's just plain rude to you.