Super Contributor

Making  acarrot cake for my son's birthday Have done it before been awhile.

How far can I make ahead his birthday is day after Thanksgiving.

Thinking of doing cup cakes Share idea with me. I think cake need to be refrigerated

Esteemed Contributor

If you have room in your freezer, cake freezes nicely and then you can take out and ice on day of if you want. If you do creamcheese icing, it does require being in refrigerator if out for very long. Or if you don't have room in freezer, you can do the cupcakes on Tuesday for Friday and be just fine, taste and quality wise. Enjoy! Carrot cake is my favorite and was my wedding cake. mmmmm.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

I make a carrot cake for birthdays and other occasions. I don't like to freeze my baked goods, but I've made it unfrosted 2 or 3 days in advance and it kept well in the refrigerator. Once I frost it, I refrigerate it again for a little while so the cream cheese frosting can set up. I usually make it in a 9x13 pan, but I've also made it as cupcakes and mini-cupcakes. Baking times are 50 minutes, 25 minutes and 16 minutes, respectively. Regardless of size, it's done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Hope this helps!

Honored Contributor

My go-to recipe is "Kitchen Sink Carrot Cake" from the King Arthur's Flour site.  It was my father's favorite that I made for him every year on his birthday.