Respected Contributor

Haven't made this in a long time but I had all the ingredients so I made it this morning.  Very tasty side dish and it's not too sweet like store bought versions can be.

3 cups shredded carrots (I bought a bag already shredded)

1/2 cup raisins

1/3 to 1/2 cup mayo

1 Tbs. lemon juice

1 Tbs. brown sugar, honey or agave nectar

pinch of salt

Optional:  1 cup chopped apple or drained crushed pineapple or 1/2 cup chopped celery

I made it with pineapple and it is delicious.  

Honored Contributor

I have not thought about this salad for years, my mom used to make it.

Trusted Contributor

@PinkyPetunia    Thanks for sharing your recipe.  Several years ago I needed to make a carrot-raisin salad for a potluck.  I wanted to check the proportions, and much to my surprise, the only recipe I could find in my cookbook collection was by Ina Garten.  I remember her recipe grated the carrots and fresh pineapple together in a food processor.  I like your addition of a touch of brown sugar.

Respected Contributor

I've never had it but it sure sounds good.

Respected Contributor

@PinkyPetunia   This sounds really delicious.  Hadn't thought about making it, or eating it, in years.  The Horn and Hardart automat in Manhattan used to have this, which is where I remember my Mom and Dad buying it.

Sometimes these retro recipes are so much fun and memories.

As always, thank you for sharing.

Super Contributor

@PinkyPetunia  Thank you so much for sharing this!  My Mom loves carrot raisin salad.  She has alzheimer's so I provide all her meals.  I live in the South and have been buying this at Publix (they have a pretty good version), but would love to be able to make it fresh for her and now I can! :-)

Honored Contributor

Re: Carrot Raisin Salad

[ Edited ]

My recipe from Cook's Country replaces the mayo with a honey-mustard vinaigrette:

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

6 tbsp cider vinegar

2 tbsp honey

1 tbsp Dijon mustard

2 lbs peeled and shredded carrots  (I use my food processor)

1 cup raisins (I prefer golden)

8 oz crushed pineapple, drained

Whisk oil, vinegar, honey, mustard, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper in big bowl.  Stir in carrots, raisins, and pineapple.  Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Honored Contributor

Re: Carrot Raisin Salad

[ Edited ]

What memories that invokes! Carrot Raisin salad was my daddy’s favorite. As a little girl every Friday night we went out to eat (Mama, Daddy, pesky brother & I) at Piccadilly’s cafeteria, & Daddy ALWAYS got it. As a little girl I thought YUCK! However, I love it now. ❤️ 🥕 salad!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

While in college, met a new friend from Denmark.  She introduced me to a much healthier and easier way of making and eating carrot salad.  We've remained friends and to this day & I still make carrot salad this way.

6 fresh organic carrots, remove outside layer, then grate

Raisins, huge handful, soaked in hot water for 20 min, drained

1-2 organic oranges, juice only

Place grated carrots and plumped raisins in large bowl.  Toss until mixed.  Pour fresh orange juice over all and toss until well distributed.  Cover and chill until serving.