Esteemed Contributor

Carmel Corn: Great for Any Celebration!

With so many chances to celebrate upon us, thought I'd throw in my favorite recipe for carmel corn.

Carmel Corn

My best friend, while involved in a musical organization, shared this recipe with me. It originated with her Mom. This recipe requires 2 people when it comes to mixing the hot caramel mix onto the popcorn in a roasting pan for stirring. I cannot tell you how good this stuff is. It will disappear in no time!

Preheat oven to 250.

Make 8 quarts (3 batches) of air popped corn. In a heavy saucepan, add 2 cubes salted butter, 2 cups light brown sugar, ½ cup lite corn syrup and a pink of salt. Bring to boil and boil at medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from burner and add 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 tsp butter flavor (in a bottle like vanilla – very necessary) and ½ tsp. baking soda. Stir well.

Place the 3 batches of popped corn in a large roasting pan. Have ready 2 large spatulas or 2 large wooden spoons. Have one person take hold of the roasting pan by the handle on each end. The other person carefully pours the hot mixture over the corn in a medium drizzle, stopping occasionally to stir, then drizzle the remaining hot mixture over the popcorn.

Place the roasting pan in the 250 oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

Rebecca

Honored Contributor

Re: Carmel Corn: Great for Any Celebration!

Our family tradition was to make popcorn balls. Mother prepared the syrup and my sister, dad and I buttered our hands in preparation for forming the balls. In the end, the syrup was always too hot for my sister's and my hands so dad always ended up making the balls. They're nice to give to neighborhood kids.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Yummy!! Thank you for sharing your special recipe.
Respected Contributor

Sounds good. I love homemade caramel corn.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

Couple quick (probably dumb) questions: Wink

Is a 'cube' of butter the same as a stick of butter? I've never used the term 'cube' before, so I wanted to double check.

>>>a pink of salt

Did you mean to say a 'pinch' of salt? If not, then please define 'a pink of salt'. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Thanks.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Yeah, back in the day we called it a 'cube' of butter. Smiley Happy I still do. It's the same as a 1/4lb stick.

Respected Contributor

On 12/1/2014 chickenbutt said:

Yeah, back in the day we called it a 'cube' of butter. Smiley Happy I still do. It's the same as a 1/4lb stick.

Thanks, CB! I thought so, but I wanted to check just in case. Wink

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Glad to help, T! Smiley Happy

'stick of butter' still sounds weird to me. It's weird when you find yourself kind of turning into one of those 'don't change stuff' people. Ha! Get off my lawn! {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Trusted Contributor

The word is ""caramel"".

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Karmelkorn is a chain of stores selling mostly that style of popcorn. Loved to buy a box at the end of shopping in the mall and eat it on the way home. I try to make my home version of it once in a while.