Honored Contributor

Re: Caramelized Onion & Garlic Pasta

Another 😂 LOL, IamMrsG.....I really laughed about the onions...and apologizing to your DH....thought same thing when I fixed a chicken dinner on top of onions last night.  I love anything with onions..DH not so much but he is just happy someone cooks for him.   Anyway, recipe sounds good..thanks!  

Respected Contributor

This is definitely a recipe to try very soon!

Thanks, @IamMrsG!  Smiley Happy

Muddling through...
Valued Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

Do you ever find yourself in the mood for the same food or flavor over and over again? I sometimes notice about mid-week that the menu I wrote for that week is heavy with a particular ethnicity, e.g., Mexican, Italian, Hillbilly (I can say that ‘cause I am one).  Well.  This week’s menu is so onion based, I apologized to DH this evening.  I’ve caramelized onions three times in the last four days.

Here is the newest rendition. And, in DH’s words, “It’s the pick of the litter.”

Caramelized Onion & Garlic Pasta
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/caramelized-onion---garlic-pasta
by Lacy Jo Matheson, Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.   YIELD:6 servings

1/4 cup butter, cubed
2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1 package (16 ounces) uncooked angel hair pasta
9 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
Fresh basil leaves, optional

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add the onions, pepper flakes and salt; saute until onions are tender. Stir in garlic. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30-40 minutes or until onions are deep golden brown.

Add the tomatoes, vinegar and 2 Tablespoons oil to the skillet.

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta; toss with onion mixture.

Drizzle with remaining olive oil. Sprinkle with bacon, cheese, and pepper; heat through. Garnish with basil if desired. Yield: 6 servings.

Author's Wine Pairings: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.

Mrs. G's notes:  

• We had garlic-cheese toast with this, and agreed the dish needed nothing else.
  • I admit to using a high-end balsamic, but cannot say it was necessary.
  • I cannot imagine not using the basil garnish.  I chiffonaded one very large leaf. 
  • soo disagree with her wine recommendations.  This, IMHO, needs a dark, rich red.  

This sounds delicious, I just bought a chunk of pancetta which I will substitute for the bacon. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe @IamMrsG! Heart