Respected Contributor

Cans of mixed nuts a good deal at Aldi

[ Edited ]

I bought a large can of Southern Grove Mixed Nuts at Aldi recently, probably for less than that type of thing is sold elsewhere.

To my pleasant surprise, these nuts are really good.  DH really likes them, too.

Anything relatively heathful such as nuts can be costly.  We always have a bowl of them out for cocktail or  holiday parties, so guests can spoon out some onto their plate.

This 14.75-oz. can contains sea-salted peanuts, almonds, cashews, Brazil nuts and pecans.

Also bought a large can of salted cocktail peanuts, but haven't tried them yet.

Respected Contributor

Re: Cans of mixed nuts a good deal at Aldi

But I always check where the nuts come from. That is so important to me. I don't want anything fro a weird country and especially from mexico or japan . Because of the cleanliness, I never worried about peanut butter , but I do now.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BeccaLou

OK, I'll tell you what the can says as to countries of origin for the nuts. 

Bear in mind that not all types of nut trees or plants can thrive equally well in the U.S. and have to come from somewhere else.  Perhaps mixed nuts are just not for you.

ALDI Southern Grove mixed nut can says:

Peanuts.......USA, Argentina and Mexico

Cashews....Vietnam, Brazil, India and Indonesia

Brazil nuts......Brazil, Bolivia, Peru and Colombia

Pecans.....USA and Mexico

I live in a state where pecans are a major crop, but pecan farmers here suffered heavy damage during the recent hurricanes.

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

But I always check where the nuts come from. That is so important to me. I don't want anything fro a weird country and especially from mexico or japan . Because of the cleanliness, I never worried about peanut butter , but I do now.

What's wrong with nuts from Japan?  Just wondering.

Honored Contributor

I check all the food I buy.

And I'm usually disappointed.

Hard to find food from the USA, unless you know where to buy locally.

Thank goodness, we still have many local food sources.

Respected Contributor

I've never checked on where the food I buy comes from.  And guess what,  I'm 70 years old and still alive to tell about it.....  Who knew?????

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've read of food cleanliness issues (for example fish) in some Asian countries that export food to this country, but Japan has never been one of them. That said, I do not buy any frozen fish that is not a USA product. The majority of coffee and some nuts only come from South American countries - I'm fine with that. Aldi's prices on nuts are excellent, as are the rest of their prices!

Honored Contributor

I have been buying their cashews since they opened. They used to be $10. I think they are $13 now. I need some more. We are down to our last container.

Super Contributor

I picked some up yesterday.  I plan to use in my Chex mix

Honored Contributor

@chips wrote:

I picked some up yesterday.  I plan to use in my Chex mix

@chips

I'm going to make that for New Year's.

I always buy the Crispex cereal to use instead of buying al the Chex cereals since it has a rice/corn side.

I bought the Crispex at Thanksgiving because it's always sold out this time of year.