Honored Contributor

Canned peach overload! Help!

When the quarantine began, my son ordered a couple of items in bulk, and somehow we wound up with a carton of canned peach halves.  I don't care for fruity desserts, but DH does and he has no calorie restrictions.

If you have a suggestion on what to make with all these peaches, I'd love for you to share.

In particular, I'm wondering if I can use them successfully in a pie or cobbler.

Thanks so much!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Canned peach overload! Help!

We love peach cobbler being in GA, the peach state.

Peach Cobbler

1 stick butter, melted
1 cup sugar
¾ cup self rising flour
¾ cup milk
28 oz can sliced peaches in heavy syrup, undrained
cinnamon for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir sugar and flour together and mix well. Slowly add milk and continue to stir to prevent the batter from lumping. Pour butter in 2 qt baking dish. Pour batter directly over butter. DO NOT STIR. Spoon fruit on top of batter, then gently pour syrup on top. DO NOT STIR. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake for 30-45 min or until golden brown

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Peaches are delicious grilled and served with chicken, pork, or fish.  These were on a grill, but you could broil them.  This way would be low cal.

Grilled Peaches with Cardamom Cream | Williams Sonoma

Honored Contributor

When I get something like this that isn't that good "as is,"  I use it to make smoothies.  I don't bother with ice, I just mix with milk and add something healthy like spinach.  So its green, but it tastes like the fruit you have used.

Respected Contributor

A peach shake might be another option.

Trusted Contributor

Use peach slices to make a delicious smoothie with plant-based milk and whatever other fruits, berries, veggies, nut butter, etc that your husband likes.  FYI, when fresh orange is added to a smoothie, there is NO taste of greens like ka!e, spinach, etc. should  any be added.  I like adding oatmeal or muesli to my smoothies ocassionally.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

That sounds like something my husband would enjoy.  The only ingredient I don't have is self-rising flour, but I know there's an easy way around that.

I had no idea I could make this with canned peaches.

Thanks to all who posted.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Drain 2 cans of peaches and put in a 13x9 baking dish.   Cover with one box of dry white or yellow cake mix.   Dot with one stick of butter.   Bake 350 for about 35 min until hot and bubbly.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop 

Thank you, but I need some clarification.  How large are the cans of peaches and are you saying you add the cakemix dry - no eggs, water or milk?

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Is he a fan of Deadwood? 😁

(Show fans will get the reference).