Honored Contributor

Canned chili recommendations please

I know you wonderful ladies have terrific, time tested chili recipes but since it's just me and I am not big on freezing a big pot of something I usually have a couple of cans of Trader Joe's chili on hand.  Unfortunately I neglected my pantry and ran out.  Since a trip to TJ's takes some planning now, I grabbed a can of Chili Man and Wolf brand chili (both no beans).  I tried the Chili Man and it was fine (should have grabbed the one with beans maybe) but was wondering if anyone had a favorite that they would recommend.

Thanks in advance for all thoughts and opinions!

Honored Contributor

Re: Canned chili recommendations please

My husband used to make all our chili, but he doesn’t eat it anymore so he quit.  I’m too lazy to make it just for myself, so I also buy canned.  I like Amy’s Organic.  I prefer the Black Bean, but it comes in several varieties, with meat and without, and various levels of hotness.  I get it at Kroger’s in the organic food area.

Valued Contributor

If you have a HyVee grocery they have a small can of their own. It has meat and beans and it's pretty good. I use it mostly for chili dogs tho. I used to buy Bushes chili, but I can't find it around here any more but I thought that one was tasty.

cookin

Respected Contributor

I've always used Hormel Chili (with beans) in the can. My recipe for chili is to use two cans of chili beans and two (15 oz) cans of tomato sauce. First, I brown one-pound of brown ground beef (or ground turkey) in a large skillet. While the meat is still browning, add chopped onions, green pepper, chili powder, salt and pepper.

The amount of these ingredients solely depend upon your taste. Continue to saute until onions and green peppers are cooked through. Add the cans of chili and tomato sauce, mix thoroughly. Added tip: I usually make my chili a day ahead, it always seems to taste better on the second day.

Honored Contributor

We like Hormel chili, there are lots of varieties, our favorite is the turkey chili w/o beans!

Honored Contributor

My preference if from a can.  Main thing it must have beans.

Wolf Brand Chili with Beans 15 oz

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

This Okie girl is having to fan herself and take a sip of tea! Woman Surprised

CANNED chili?  With BEANS?  Oh my let me sit down.  Woman Wink

I think Wick Fowler's 2-Alarm chili kit makes great chili.  I have made my own recipe similar:

2 pounds ground beef

1 1/2 tsp paprika

2 tsp. cumin

1/2 tsp oregano

3 TBSP (or up to 5 depending on the brand) chili powder

1 1/2 TBSP onion flakes

3/4 tsp garlic powder

cayenne pepper to taste

salt to taste (I like it pretty salty)

(all measurements are approximate since I just measure it in my hand and throw it in--which means I possibly use more than this)

Saute beef until browned well, add spices and saute a minute, add a can of diced tomatoes and a can of tomato sauce and water to make the consistency you like, cook on low for 1/2 hour to 1 hour.

If you are a strict vegetarian and feel compelled to add some veggies, use ONLY red kidney beans.  Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

I like Cattlemen's Chili from Costco.  Hormel is good.  I actually like Western Family mild.

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe

Like @beckyb1012, I prefer Wolf brand as well.  I have tried Hormel and it was ok, just liked Wolf better.  In our area, they sell cans of Steak N Shake chili in our grocery stores-if you have had theirs you would know what you are getting in the can.  When I found myself a single Mom, my DD didn't like chili and I love it.  But I am not sure I can make chili without making enough to feed the 3rd Infantry.  Finally, I couldn't take it any longer and made that vat of chili.  I ate a bowl that night and took out another for the next day.  The rest of the chili I put in a muffin tin and froze them.   When they were frozen, I popped them out of the tin and put the frozen chili "muffins" in a freezer ziplock-this was in the days before lock n lock.  If I wanted a chili dog, I would defrost one of the "muffins" and it was just the right amount.  If I wanted a bowl of chili, I would defrost 2 or 3.  I didn't have to eat chili for weeks on end that way.  Worked great.  Just a thought if you wanted to make your own special recipe!

Honored Contributor

Seriously @Sooner I was considering putting in the title of the thread "Sooner, please don't look" . . . I remember a thread from a few years ago about beans -vs- no beans so I know you know your chili!  Smiley Happy

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.  I truly appreciate it!