Regular Contributor

I picked up three cans of canned tuna fish from my local grocery several weeks ago.  I opened one can and made tuna salad.  When I tasted it, it had an unusual flavor.  I didn't finish it.  I checked the remaining cans and was very surprised to see that one can is a product of Viet Nam and the other one is a product of Mauritius.  I did some research and found that the tuna from Viet Nam is not recommended and so are other tunas from foreign regions of the world for various reasons.  Has anyone else encountered this?  

Respected Contributor

What was the brand?  I only buy Starkist - in a pouch.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Canned Tuna Fish

[ Edited ]

When it comes to tuna, I only eat albacore tuna. Very white fish and taste delicious!

If you saw how tuna is raised in Asian countries, you'd never buy Asian tuna.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Whitney400 You got me thinking with this post....I'd never looked at where my tuna fish was sourced.

I have been, for the last several years, been buying "Blue Harbor, Wild Caught, White Albacore Tuna" from Fresh Market. About $3.50 a can and sometimes on sale. I'd rather spend for a good quality, which I think this is. However, as I look at the can I don't see where the fish is sourced, only "packed in America."

It is "Certified sustainable, wild caught, dolphin safe" and tastes clean and good. But now I'll check out their website to see where the fish is sourced. I've bought other similar type brands that I think were caught off the coast of CA.

I also buy Trader Joe's white albacore occasionally, I see that's sourced in Indonesia. I don't know if that's recommended or not as a safe, clean source. I never thought to look at the source before!

Last...I don't have a can to look at now, but I also buy an Italian Tuna in olive oil, that I use for certain recipes and don't know where that's sourced. Maybe that's a no brainer that it's in the Mediterranian but not necessarily... 

Honored Contributor

Recently most of the tuna I bought has too strong of a smell and I toss it out. I like tuna but when it is a mild smell! Sometimes it seems so yucky.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

@KingstonMom    I didn't know there were tuna farms. Right now there are bluefin farms in Japan, but that's it. 

All other tuna is still wild caught.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I buy Bumble Bee solid white Albacore in water. On the bottom of the can it says product of Mauritius.Sometimes the tuna is white, sometimes the cans are horrible with the tuna reddish or dark brown in color, then the whole can gets thrown out!

Bumble Bee Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water, 5 oz Can (Pack of 24) - Wild  Caught Tuna - 29g Protein per Serving - Non-GMO Project Verified, Gluten ...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't eat canned tuna anymore. It tastes just like the tin can.

ETA-

I've never actually tried to eat a tin can but that's just what I would imagine it to taste like. You know exactly what it is, that metallic taste in your mouth after eating tuna.

Trusted Contributor

It is getting so hard to count on seafood of any type but I can echo @KingstonMom when it comes to any Asian raised, farmed or packaged seafood (or anything else). I don't buy it, they are fed things that I would not want to ingest. Especially shrimp and bottom feeding seafood. I have become very aware of farmed seafood and usually the print about where the food originates is practically hidden. 

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

The only canned tuna I consistently like is Walmart brand. Both white and light are firm, not mushy. Everything else has changed drastically. Up until the pandemic the Bumble Bee albacore Heritage Pack was good -- then it also changed.

Why has this happened? Have certain tuna species been overfished and are no longer available? Has tuna processing changed to a faster and cheaper method that has affected quality?