Respected Contributor

@FranandZoeIve had some pretty gross tsasting tuna from Jewel.I will only eat startkist or Chicken of the Sea.Gags me to even think about it

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@Mindy D 

That exact Starkist tuna is what I got rid of last week, and said goodbye to tuna, period.  I made tuna salad out of 3 packs; so nasty my husband and I couldn't eat it.  Our outside dog wasn't even interested in eating it, and that dog eats anything!  

Am not buying any brand of tuna anytime soon.  

@RedTop II sure hope the company hadn't changed the product. The pouches in my pantry are at least 6-9 months old, and I haven't tried them yet, so if there's been a change I wouldn't know. Prior to my current stash I had some from last year. Those were delicious. Are you sure you bought the albacore? I sincerely hope the product is still good and yours was just a fluke. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Canned Tuna Fish

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

The only canned tuna I consistently like is Walmart brand. Both white and light are firm, not mushy. Everything else has changed drastically. Up until the pandemic the Bumble Bee albacore Heritage Pack was good -- then it also changed.

Why has this happened? Have certain tuna species been overfished and are no longer available? Has tuna processing changed to a faster and cheaper method that has affected quality? 

@PickyPicky3    @WORKING GAL 

I've also found that the best generic brands are from Walmart and Kroger.  I tried a couple as a lark and found them to be consistently good quality.   Always buy tuna in water.

Years ago, I used to mix one can of Albacore with one can of Light for the best tuna salad flavor.  Usually now, I like the Light.  For some reason, these days, I find Albacore to be just too dry.

Honored Contributor

i purchase italian tuna......TUNA FLOTT. it is expensive, but the taste is wonderful. 

tuna flott belly.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44, I used to, and still do sometimes mix albacore with chunked light tuna. It really does add to the flavor.

I especially do this when making creamed tuna on toast! A dish my sons often request when visiting from out of state. Smiley Very Happy

A fond food remembrance from their childhoods.

It was something fast to put on the table on busy school nights between sports practices and homework, or perfect as a cozy lunch on a rainy day.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

Speaking of tuna fish ....................  

A while back I was making some tuna salad and discovered the celery in the fridge was waaaay past its prime.  

So, as a substitution, I chopped up a can of sliced WATER CHESTNUTS .... and they were great.  Gave it a nice crispy texture to the tuna salad.

It went so well that I no longer use celery, always water chestnuts.

Yum!  Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

LOL, @Tinkrbl44. I've also used them in tuna! Smiley LOL

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

I bought Bumble Bee Albacore in water for years.  The pack that comes with little little cans.  The last couple of times I bought it, it wasn't the same.  I think it smelled kinda funny and it wasn't looking like Albacore tuna.  Very yucky.  I switched to Starkist and so far so good.

Respected Contributor

Re: Canned Tuna Fish

[ Edited ]

I buy the Kirkland albacore white in wha canned tuna and I have never had to toss a can due to the smell or anything.I like it comes in an 8 can pack...I use it more often when the weather warms up and we want tuna pasta salad or just regular tuna salad. The Kirkland brand is Bumble Bee with the Kirkland label.

Respected Contributor
@amyb, I believe the name of the Italian tuns in oil is Genova. It is the only canned tuna my family uses. Like the taste of oil packed better than the salty water packed. Genova is wild caught and sustainable.