Respected Contributor

Can I use these to make "mashed" potatoes?  I'd just drain them and mash as I would white potatoes.  Better yet, can anyone suggest another side that could be made -- no marshmallows, please.   

Esteemed Contributor

@coffee drinker  I just bought two large cans of yams, no idea why, but DH works out of town and I did not want to worry about fresh ones.  I googled recipes using one can and there are a few.  You can use them just like cooked ones, including mashing them.  That is probably what I am doing tonight to go with pork chops.  You probably should drain them before mashing, but using it in a casserole may not matter.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Re: Canned Sweet Potatoes

[ Edited ]

You can absolutely mash canned sweet potatoes.  I drain them, add butter, brown sugar and a splash of vanilla, put into a greased baking dish, top with a streusel topping of butter, oatmeal, flour, brown sugar and nuts.   Heat in 350 oven about 30 minutes.

Respected Contributor

Re: Canned Sweet Potatoes

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

You can absolutely mash canned sweet potatoes.  I drain them, add butter, brown sugar and a splash of vanilla, put into a greased baking dish, top with a streusel topping of butter, oatmeal, flour, brown sugar and nuts.   Heat in 350 oven about 30 minutes.

RedTop beat me to it!🤣.  This is what I have done in the past.  The canned ones work great!

Edited to add:  I like this as my dessert!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

Do you know if we can freeze these?  I bought a super large can and wont need to use them all. hate to waste them.

Respected Contributor

Yes you can freeze leftovers.  I microwave a sweet potato 8-10 min, when cool peel and add to canned sweet potatoes for any recipie.  It makes it seem like all fresh sweet potatoes were used.  

Honored Contributor

@meem120 

Yes, you can freeze whatever canned sweet potatoes are left over.

Respected Contributor

@meem120  yes you can freeze, but mash before freezing.  i have 4 containers of frozen mashed sweets in my freezer now.  sweet potato harvest time here. 

we have a field just down the street, thousands of potatoes too small for the picking machine.  we gleaned about 20 lbs or so.  dh keeps asking if i need more.  

Respected Contributor

I like a baked sweet potato with butter and cinnamon. I do not care for the canned ones and baking is easy. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for those delicious ideas.  A special thanks to @RedTop & @kittyloo for the recipe.  I'm going to try it. You've turned me into a sweet potato lover. Happy Thanksgiving to all.